Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Indoor Spa Wiring

Indoor Spa Wiring

New postby Grendel1 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:28 pm

I have an indoor spa with the motor (120v) connected to a gfci outlet underneath the spa near the motor. The wall of the spa is enclosed with tile so anytime the gfci opens I need to cut the tile caulk out / remove a tile enclosed panel to get to the gfci outlet / reset the gfci / finally insert the tiles and re-caulk. Can I just remove the gfci outlet and connect the motor directly to a gfci breaker (20amp)? Does the spa need to be wired through a gfci outlet?
Grendel1

Re: Indoor Spa Wiring

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Whoever installed that hydro-massage tub (indoor spa/whirlpool/etc) apparently did not know, or did not understand, what was required.

Grendel1 wrote:The wall of the spa is enclosed with tile so anytime the gfci opens I need to cut the tile caulk out / remove a tile enclosed panel to get to the gfci outlet / reset the gfci / finally insert the tiles and re-caulk.

The motor is required to be accessible such that neither the structure nor the finish of the structure is damaged during access to the motor, which means that the caulk is not allowed to have to be cut to allow for access to the motor. The access should be through a door or panel which can be removed by lifting out, sliding out, opening with or without the removal of screws, but not caulked in place.

Can I just remove the gfci outlet and connect the motor directly to a gfci breaker (20amp)?

The GFCI protection can be located back at the breaker for that circuit, however that will not address the problem you have with having the motor properly accessible.

Does the spa need to be wired through a gfci outlet?

Yes, GFCI protection is required for the spa motor.

All the above said, though, here is an important question which needs to be asked: WHY does the GFCI trip, and WHY does it trip often enough to have made the improper access noticeable to you. A GFCI SHOULD NOT TRIP unless there is something "not right", and when the GFCI does trip, the reason and cause for that tripping needs to be investigated, ESPECIALLY WHEN that GFCI is for a hydro-massage tub (spa/whirlpool/etc) as one might be electrocuted in that tub.

There is a reason the GFCI is tripping, and that reason needs to be found out BEFORE the tub is used again, least (as I have always said) "the surviving spouse" calls ...

It is never a good thing when "the surviving spouse" calls.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Indoor Spa Wiring

New postby Grendel1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you! This is very helpful information.
Grendel1

Return to Pools and Spas: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, child safety protection, entrapment protection