Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Pool Stair Finish

Pool Stair Finish

New postby rblough on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Is there a required coating for Stainless Steel Pool Stairs, UV Protection, Chemical Resistant, Non-Slip, like an epoxy, rubber, etc.
rblough

Re: Pool Stair Finish

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Stainless steel pool stairs (ladders) are typically finished in a brushed look. This, I suspect, is mainly to make cleaning easier so the scrubbing marks of cleaning do not show as much as the scrubbing marks would on a polished surface.

I have not been able to find any requirements for a specifically required slip resistant finish. One could emboss a knurled finish into the stainless steel to help with slip resistance, however, if the knurled pattern were to result in any sharp edges or damage the skin of a bather, especially younger children, I suspect that an attorney's letter demanding compensation (and we must not forget - attorney's fees) for the injured party.

I also have not found where such a finish as "Non-Slip, like an epoxy, rubber, etc" is prohibited either, other than the requirements that it be smooth and not cause injury, and any peeling, chipping, etc., surface could lead to causing injury.

With regard to "UV Protection, Chemical Resistant", stainless steel does not require UV protection (however, a coating on the stainless steel might require such protection), and stainless steel is, by and large, corrosion resistant - depending on the type of stainless steel used. The higher the chromium content in the stainless steel, the greater the level of corrosion resistance the stainless steel has, however, the higher the chromium content, the more costly the stainless steel, also, somewhere around 18%-20% or so greater chromium content, the increased cost for a higher chromium content does not produce much greater corrosion resistance (based on what I have read and found). It becomes a budget issue as to how much more corrosion resistance one wants above that 18%-20% level.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby RONALD on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Jerry,

What is the requirement in reference to handrails in residential pools. I have been seeing a few new pools with built in steps but no handrails.
RONALD

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Ronald,

The answer depends on what code is in effect in your area - the following is from the Florida Building Code (Florida has a lot of pools, which is why I selected the Florida swimming pool code): (bold is mine)
- 424.2.18 Ladders and steps.
- - All pools whether public or private shall be provided with a ladder or steps in the shallow end where water depth exceeds 24 inches (610 mm). In private pools where water depth exceeds 5 feet (1524 mm) there shall be ladders, stairs or underwater benches/swim-outs in the deep end. Where manufactured diving equipment is to be used, benches or swim-outs shall be recessed or located in a corner.
- - - Exception: In private pools having more than one shallow end, only one set of steps are required. A bench, swimout or ladder may be used at all additional shallow ends in lieu of an additional set of steps.

Hope that helps.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 am

Roland,

My code section above was still regarding ladders, stairs, etc., but your question was about handrails for those stairs:
- 424.1.2.5.5 Handrails and grabrails.
- - Handrails shall be provided for all stairs, shall be anchored in the bottom step and the deck. Where "figure 4” deckmounted type handrails are used, they shall be anchored in the deck and extend laterally to any point vertically above the bottom step. Grabrails must be mounted in the pool deck at each side of recessed steps. Handrails and grabrails shall extend between 28 and 40 inches (711 mm and 1016 mm) above the step edge and deck.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Pools and Spas: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, child safety protection, entrapment protection