Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Tile Roofing system with no hip/ridge tiles.

Tile Roofing system with no hip/ridge tiles.

New postby RobShepp on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Jerry,
I recently inspected a brand new home with a Boral tile roofing system(flat/slate tiles) in Broward County, the system was installed on a hip roof with no ridge or hip tiles. Thecontractor installed the tiles up to the ridges and filled the separation with mortar. I went 12 rounds with the builder, manufacturer, and Miami Product Approval(Alex Tigera). The roofing contractor stated hip and ridge tiles were not "required", the manufacturer had no position, and Miami Product approval didn't care as long as it passed uplift. I was speachless. The tiles are part of the water shedding system of the roof, they work as an integral system to protect the undeerlayment and prolong the servcie life of the roofing system. Have you aver run inot this situation? If so, how did you handle it?

Thank you.
RobShepp

Re: Tile Roofing system with no hip/ridge tiles.

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm

RobShepp wrote:The tiles are part of the water shedding system of the roof,

When the product approval or the manufacturer's installation instructions specify hip and ridge tile (most do) then hip and ridge tiles ARE REQUIRED to be installed ... no matter how much the builder or roofer complains or tries to come up with reasons that they did not/do not install hip/ridge tiles.

If no hip/ridge tiles are specified by either the product approval or the manufacturer, then none are required.

Note, though, that ALL openings between tiles - the openings between hip and ridge tiles and the field tiles they are laying on, the ends of the top course of tiles against a wall, the sides of field tiles along a wall, the bottom ends of the tiles (bird stop, end closure, eave closure, starter strip, starter closure, and other names) - need to be sealed, typically those openings are sealed with mortar.

When no hip or ridge tile are installed, that opening between where the two planes meet is also required to be sealed, again, typically with mortar.

The tile is the water shedding covering, but the tile is not the waterproof covering (except for System 1 tile roof systems where the flashings are installed above the tile, in which case the tile is the waterproof covering and ANY cracked or broken tile is a "roof leak"). Except for System 1 tile roofs systems which are (theoretically) water-tight, the tile sheds about 90% or so of the water, the rest is presumed to drain under the tile, down the underlayment, and out the weep holes in the starter strip (or the bottom tile closure by any other name).

In addition to sealing ("closing" is a more accurate word than "sealing") ... closing the openings between the tiles to keep most of the water out, the tile underlayment *is not sunlight resistant* and *is not to be left exposed to sunlight* for extended periods - that it the other reason those openings are closed (typically with mortar).

If those openings are not closed, sunlight will deteriorate the tile underlayment in a few years (as little and 2-3 years and maybe as much as 5-6 years) and then you have roof leaks.

I had one a number of years ago, Integra?/Entegra? I think was the tile manufacturer, where the builder did not install hip and ridge tile, but the hip and ridge were mortared closed. The product approval specified how to install the tile and also stated that the installation had to meet the product approval *AND* the manufacturer's installation instructions (most products approvals specify meeting both, thus the most restrictive of the two must be met) - the product approval showed the installation of hip and ridge tile but stopped short of saying that it was required, the manufacturer's installation instructions stated that hip and ridge tile was required unless the hip and ridge were finished off in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions for no hip and ridge tile installations.

Except that the manufacturer never made any installation instructions for installation with no hip and ridge tile, thus there were no manufacturer's installation instructions for no hip and ridge tile installations, and, based on the wording of the product approval and the manufacturer's installation instructions ... hip and ridge tile was thus required.

I went several rounds with the builder and the tile manufacturer and the end result was that the manufacturer either had to provide installation instructions for no hip and ridge tile installations - or - the builder had to redo the hips and ridges with hip and ridge tiles.

The manufacturer refused to create installation instructions for no hip and ridge tile installations.

The builder and their roofer ended up redoing the hips and ridges with hip and ridge tiles as specified in the product approval and manufacturer's installation instructions.

Rob, which Boral tile is it? Some are not approved for installation in the HVHZ (Miami-Dade or Broward counties).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby RobShepp on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:53 pm

Saxony NOA 12-0904.03 Slate. The NOA specifies hip and ridge tiles, as does RAS 120(system was adhesive set). I don't think anything is going to happen with it, MDCA was inconclusive and not much help. The tile manufacturer gave me the impression they were protecting their client(roofing contractor).
RobShepp

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 pm

That's where the client intervenes on their own behalf and tells the builder that they want what they are paying for - a roof which meets the NOA and manufacturer's installation instructions.

You can talk with the Chief Structural Code Compliance Official for structural at the Board of Rules and Appeals as they may give you back up if you explain what is there (take photos with you) and what the NOA and manufacturer's installation instructions require, and then ask ... very important ... ask ... what they think about it and what should be done.

THEY can make the local building department enforce the NOA is they so choose. They can ... if they want to.

Miami-Dade product approval has nothing to do with Broward County, all they do is address the product approvals, which are what they are. I doubt they would even do much in Miami-Dade County either - the most they could do would be to say "Well, the NOA says ... and that is all I can say." They may add "Go talk with the building official where the house is. By the way, what city is it in in Broward County, or is it in unincorporated Broward County?

As a home inspector, you cannot require anything be done, but, as Jeff and Ron will tell you, we had good luck with some AHJ in responding to code items we pointed out and, well, not so good luck with other AHJ in responding to the code items we pointed out.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby RobShepp on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:06 am

Down town Las Olas, on one of the canals with direct access.
RobShepp

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:24 am

RobShepp wrote:Down town Las Olas, on one of the canals with direct access.

Here is a list of names for all the AHJ in Broward County:
- http://www.broward.org/CODEAPPEALS/Page ... tacts.aspx

These are listed for Fort Lauderdale:
- Ft. Lauderdale
- 700 NW 19 Avenue
- Fort Lauderdale FL 33311
- Phone: 954-828-5191
- Fax: 954-828-5275

- Mailing Address:
- PO Box 14250
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33302

- Building Official: Don Travers
- jtravers@fortlauderdale.gov

- Chief Structural: John Madden
- Chief Electrical: Scott Dry
- Chief Plumbing: Joseph DeMaio
- Chief Mechanical: Alex Hernandez

Start be meeting with the Chief Structural, then the Building Official (chain of command), although sometimes we had better results meeting with the Building Official, who then brought the Chief inspectors in.

These are the Board of Rules and Appeals contacts:
- http://www.broward.org/CODEAPPEALS/Page ... tacts.aspx

- Staff Contacts

- BOARD OF RULES AND APPEALS
- 1 N. University, Suite 3500 B
- Plantation, Fl. 33324
- Phone 954-765-4500
- Fax: 954-765-4504

- Administrative Director: Jim DiPietro

- Code Compliance Officers:
- Chief Electrical Code Compliance Officer: Lou Marks
- Chief Mechanical Code Compliance Officer: Rolando Soto
- Chief Plumbing Code Compliance Officer: Otto ViƱas
- Chief Structural Code Compliance Officer: Rusty Carroll III
- Chief Structural Code Compliance Officer: Bill Dumbaugh
- Chief Code Compliance Officer, Fire: Bryan Parks

- Administrative Staff:
- Ruth Boselli
- Adele Kline
- Catherine Kubat

You can talk with Rusty or Bill, I see they are still there, I got to where I would check things with them first, if what I was saying went with their thinking, then I knew I had backup when I talked with the Building Officials.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby RobShepp on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for all of your help Jerry, it is greatly appreciated.
RobShepp

Return to Roof coverings: Shingles, tile, slate, built-up roofs, single ply, modified, TPO-EPDM-PVC, metal, etc.