Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Light at attic access

Light at attic access

New postby bigdog on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:52 am

Doesn't installing an attic light fixture pointing into the attic access opening violate the net clear opening requirement? I know in the past I have hit and broken a light bulb or 2 climbing up into the attic. Just one of those annoying little things that is still being done in new construction today.

David McCabe
bigdog

Re: Light at attic access

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 am

David,

Somehow I missed seeing your post when I checked yesterday.

The best answer is: 'it depends".

If there is no mechanical equipment in the attic, the code addresses the "opening" ... and some (many) contractors lose whatever common sense they may have had when it comes to doing their work logically, or maube it's just the "easiest way", and the "easiest way" for the electrical contractor is to be able to set their ladder up "at" the "opening" and install the light fixture on the box sticking out into the space above "the opening".

Of course, though, they regret it the next time they go in the attic ... and break the light.

However, if there is mechanical equipment in the attic, the opening and pathway to/from the equipment needs to be large enough to fit the largest equipment through without disassembly of the equipment.

Common sense would click the light bulb in their brain on and they would mount the light so it doesn't project over the opening.

If only common sense was actually common.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Light at attic access

New postby bigdog on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:50 am

True true true!

The mechanical code in M1305.1.3.1 and other sections clearly states any lamp must be protected but I understand it doesn't apply here.
Thanks for the response.
bigdog

Return to Fire-rated assemblies: Fire walls, fire partitions, smoke barriers, ceiling-floor, ceiling-attic; Separation of garages from dwelling unit; Separation between structure's exterior walls and property line