Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Stair egress protrusion

Stair egress protrusion

New postby mtCDCcb on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:43 pm

I have a common stairway that serves a means of egress for a multiple family condo building. The stairway protrudes about 1.5" into the doorway. Is this allowed? It doesn't prevent operation of the egress door. Also is the egress door required to be self closing and fire rated? Thanks,
Chuck Vincent
mtCDCcb

Re: Stair egress protrusion

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Chuck,

mtCDCcb wrote:I have a common stairway that serves a means of egress for a multiple family condo building. The stairway protrudes about 1.5" into the doorway. Is this allowed? It doesn't prevent operation of the egress door.

No, the stair should not protrude into the doorway opening. The stairway tread could extend out to the edge of the door opening, but not into the opening.

Also is the egress door required to be self closing and fire rated?

With no other information to go on ... the stairway (presuming it is enclosed) probably is required to have a 2-hour rating around it with a 90 minute rated door (and rated doors are also self-closing) - lacking way too much information to make that a definitive yes, but it at least a most likely yes.

Here is another consideration to ponder: if the stair protrudes that far into the doorway, the stair likely protrudes into the corridor width too, making the corridor width too narrow (as well as the doorway too narrow) for proper egress requirements.

That protrusion may also be reducing the landing depth at the bottom of the stairway to less than what is required.

Sounds to me like someone did not design something properly, either the stairs themselves or the stair tower may not have been deep enough for the stairs.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mtCDCcb on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Jerry,
Thanks for the response. I have attached the plan. It looks like they couldn't get their 11" tread without encroaching into the door. Doesn't seem that this was caught by anybody at permitting.
Chuck
mtCDCcb

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 pm

mtCDCcb wrote:I have attached the plan.

Chuck, nothing was attached.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Stairways, Ramps, Handrails and Guards: Stairways, ramps, handrails, guardrails, landings, entry stoops/porches, recessed floor areas