Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

R-2 riser height in Florida

R-2 riser height in Florida

New postby KEARCH on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:48 am

Hello!

I have a project with R-2 units. The Florida Building Code allows the stair inside the dwelling unit to be 7 3/4" high but then the code official is limiting us to 7" riser height per NFPA.

While I understand that, but we have used 7 3/4" many times in many states. Are they missing something or are we held to the 7" height? I think it's dependent on whether NFPA is adopted in each state?
Thanks -
Katrina
KEARCH

Re: R-2 riser height in Florida

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:10 pm

This should address the Fire Mashall's position and their stance on stairs within dwelling units:
- http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 3.202.html
633.202 Florida Fire Prevention Code
- (11) The design of interior stairways within dwelling units, including stair tread width and riser height, landings, handrails, and guards, must be consistent with chapter 10 of the Florida Building Code.

The above is state statute and directs the Fire Marshall to defer to the Florida Building Code, and specifically to Chapter 10 which addresses egress and stairs and which contains the exception for stairs within dwelling units to have risers of maximum 7-3/4" instead of 7" maximum

As I recall, the Florida Fire Prevention Code has the same exception for stairs within dwelling units. But the above addresses it by deferring to the FBC.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: R-2 riser height in Florida

New postby KEARCH on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Thank you very much!
KEARCH

Return to Stairways, Ramps, Handrails and Guards: Stairways, ramps, handrails, guardrails, landings, entry stoops/porches, recessed floor areas