Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Rafter Grade Stamps

Rafter Grade Stamps

New postby aaronm on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Code Man:

I encountered a roof framed with dimensional lumber. The 2X6 members mostly lacked grade stamps. How many grade stamps are typically applied to any given piece of dimensional lumber? The stamps I did see were from the Southern Pine Inspection Bureau (SPIB). Tried to contact them, but I got radio silence.

Thanks,

UPDATE: A helpful gentleman from the Southern Pine Inspection Bureau (SPIB) just called. He said that a minimum of one stamp is required on each piece of dimensional lumber. Sometimes, two will be stamped on longer pieces. They usually are stamped in the last few feet of any board, so it is entirely possible that the sawman could have cut these off. dang those sawmen . . . I also asked if they or anyone else could possibly grade the lumber in situ. Not allowed. I'm back to square one . . . Sorry to take up bandwidth here.
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Re: Rafter Grade Stamps

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm

I found your update when I was going to say that I called ... and found out that they closed at 4 pm. I was going to verify what I remembered - one per piece, and sometimes more ... which is what you verified before I did.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)