Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Ocean Front Home on Stilts

Ocean Front Home on Stilts

New postby mhawley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Hey Jerry,

I hope all is well.

I need to find some information on the 2001 FBC requirements for ocean front homes that are built on wood pilings. I tried to Google some information and could not find anything helpful. I want to research as much info as I can get my hands on. Can you point me in the right direction and do you know of any good reading info on homes that are built on wood pilings. I checked the Building Science website for some info and could not find any articles do you know of any articles regarding design requirements.

How deep are the pilings required to be, is there a minimum depth? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mhawley

Re: Ocean Front Home on Stilts

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi Matt,

I am sure you did realize the depth of the question you were asking.

Those structures would each need to be engineered depending on many conditions, including, but not limited to, design flood elevation, base flood elevation, wave height, scour, and many other aspects.

The first best thing for you to do is to go to the FEMA site here (Note - place cursor over link and right click, select 'Open in New Window': http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=1570 ) and download and review all of the Fact Sheets FEMA has prepared, review the ones you are most interested in first, they can get overwhelming, but contain very good information broken down into the various segments addressed by each Fact Sheet.

After that, I may be able to help with other questions and information, but start there.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mhawley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Sir Peck,

Thank you very much, this is a great start. I will read and study each one of them. I knew there had to be some info somewhere...Thanks again.

Regards - Matt
mhawley

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Matt,

You will probably want to start with Fact Sheet 11, Foundations; then Fact Sheet 12, Piles; then Fact Sheet 4, Lowest Floor; then Fact Sheets 13 and 17, both cover Connections.

The rest of the house information will build on that, both figuratively and literally.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)