Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Asbestos Siding on Termite damaged Historic Building

Asbestos Siding on Termite damaged Historic Building

New postby rexpco on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm

While I am on the run, I was considering purchasing a building in a small historic town which was built in and around 1840's as the rumors go. This building although considerable termite damage (I'm CPCO) the lumber although old and hard as rock seem to be holding up the building fine. The building is wood frame and only about 500 to 700 square feet although current owners allowed rain and weather to seep in for last 30 years. The windows need replaces and siding and wood members need attention.

The problem is during last several decades past someone chose to install asbestos fiber siding. These are loosly nailed on and I've been told an owner can remove and dispose of this without hiring expensive remediation company. They can be removed easily with minimal breakage. Where can I dispose of this ?

I'd rather remove and restore building with original lap siding since this was later addition.

Kind regards,

Rex
rexpco

Re: Asbestos Siding on Termite damaged Historic Building

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

rexpco wrote:This building although considerable termite damage (I'm CPCO) the lumber although old and hard as rock seem to be holding up the building fine.

I would get a structural engineer to review the structure and design repairs for what they say needs to be repaired/removed/replaced. No need to spend other money first and then have the 'considerable termite damaged' structure need to be replaced or taken down.

The problem is during last several decades past someone chose to install asbestos fiber siding. These are loosly nailed on and I've been told an owner can remove and dispose of this without hiring expensive remediation company. They can be removed easily with minimal breakage. Where can I dispose of this ?

Rex, start here: (place cursor over link, right click, select 'Open in New Window') http://www.airqualityenvironmental.com/ ... s__faq.htm (good information for what you are asking about in Florida).

Then go here: (place cursor over link, right click, select 'Open in New Window') http://www.treeo.ufl.edu/Resources/faq-Asbestos.aspx (a more authoritive source for the information).

Then here for the Florida DEP page and links for asbestos information: (place cursor over link, right click, select 'Open in New Window') http://www.dep.state.fl.us/air/about_ai ... bestos.htm .

I've had a few asbestos classes the state put on, but I am far from an expert in knowing what the state wants and allows regarding asbestos (which seems to change anyway, but being a CPCO you know how that goes ... by the way, I used to be a CPCO also, before I retired, it is a shame that Florida does not have a way to keep your CPCO license but put it inactive instead of having to just not renew it and give it up, oh well, it is what it is).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Asbestos Siding on Termite damaged Historic Building

New postby rexpco on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 am

Jerry,
I understand the money pits associated with old home and structure repairs. I've often advised customers who fall in love with an old historic structure to take pictures down to architect and have new building built which has the character and charm of years gone by but with the new insulation, electric , cable, internet, appliances and plumbing.

Driving by these old structures many of us say "WOW". not realizing how much it really takes to restore. I guess this one also will have to wait for deeper pockets than mine. (I know what the structural engineer would say) THE TERMITES WIN THIS ONE...lol

Yes too bad about the Certified Pest Control Operator certification. I know just how tough that test was, and how many hours were invested earning it. Its terrible telling someone if you don't use or renew something for 6 months you must take the entire test again. Extended illness, retire then change mind, or other issues and you must take test again. It's like all the continuing education for all your certifications are law change updates not really pertaining to actual trade. After all a pencil looks like a pencil, did so last year, the year before and year before that. And next year I'll learn what a pencil looks like. (That is what my continuing education feels like...lol
rexpco

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)