Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

No Tight Butts Here

No Tight Butts Here

New postby aaronm on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 am

Codeman:

I am at my wit’s end working to convince production homebuilders that gaps in framing butt, and other, joints are poor workmanship; are the cause of what they euphemistically refer to as “normal settlement” when drywall cracks appear; and are merely the end result of corporate American trying to pass as homebuilders.

Gaps between headers and studs and other members as much as ½” in width are not uncommon. While I find code support for stud-to-plate, and rafter-to-rafter contact requirements, these requirements for joints in other framing members appear to be elusive. I have scoured the IRC, AWC, NDS, JLC Manual of Best Practices, NAHB Performance Standards, and Gypsum Association, et al., to no avail.

As we all know, builders – especially Texas builders – do not respond to anything other than a codified reference replete with the terms shall and require. Can you help with this?
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Re: No Tight Butts Here

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am

Aaron,

I am not aware of any requirement regarding header-to-stud contact either; however, if the header is bearing on the top end of a single jack stud, I doubt that provides the minimum bearing required for the header. The minimum bearing requirement would depend on the header size (basically the width) and, as I recall, is 1-1/2" minimum.

From the 2009 IRC: (bold and underlining are mine)
- R602.7 Headers. For header spans see Tables R502.5(1) and R502.5(2).
- (Tables R502.5(1) and R502.5(2) give sizes and spans for headers)
- R502.6 Bearing. The ends of each joist, beam or girder shall have not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete except where supported on a 1-inch-by-4-inch (25.4 mm by 102 mm) ribbon strip and nailed to the adjacent stud or by the use of approved joist hangers.
- (being as R502.6 is applicable to the two referenced Tables, this minimum bearing requirement would also be applicable to sections which reference those Tables (such as headers).

If they are using a single jack stud which is 1-1/2" wide, then the 1-1/2" minimum bearing would have the header touching the adjacent king studs,

Now, if those headers are non-bearing ... all bets (and butts) are off.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: No Tight Butts Here

New postby aaronm on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 am

Good call Codeman.

Thanks.
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)