Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Code Comparison Information Request

Code Comparison Information Request

New postby aaronm on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:16 am

Codeman:

Are you aware of any reference book or Internet website which contains a side-by-side comparison of the different model building codes? How about a place to locate past codes for cross referencing?

Thanks,

Aaron
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Re: Code Comparison Information Request

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi Aaron,

The short answer is 'no'.

aaronm wrote:Are you aware of any reference book or Internet website which contains a side-by-side comparison of the different model building codes?

The long answer is still 'no', but with explanation: The different codes do not match section for section, and some sections which have the same number have similar or different content, even when comparing same-code to same-code in different editions - a section may be added and subsequent sections may be re-numbered, or a section deleted and the subsequent sections re-numbered.

How about a place to locate past codes for cross referencing?

Not easily done as there are few places which have a large collection of the old codes, and those places are not intended for use in cross-referencing codes which are no longer current.

I have many codes in my collection, yet there are many codes I do not have. My method of cross-referencing between the codes I do have is to do so by manually looking through the books (or searching through the codes on my computer for electronic editions of the codes which I have that way) - which is time consuming.

If there was a perceived market for it, I could offer to do so within the constraints of the codes I have, doing so for a flat fee per cross-reference or for looking up an older code section regarding a specific request, the fee is yet to be determined if I were to offer that. I could list the code I have available for cross-referencing and code section look up. I look for older codes and add them to my collection when I can.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question