Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

The following Codemen are available to answer your questions:
All Codes and Standards - Jerry Peck, Codeman

Q&A Board links

  • FAQ



  • View New Questions

  • View Unanswered Questions

  • View Active Questions/Answers

  • Mark Questions as read

  • View Your Questions

  • Go To Your User Control Panel

  • Links to:
  • Construction Litigation Consultants

  • Florida Building Commission

  • Florida Building Codes Online

  • International Code Council

  • ICC Codes Free Online

  • Building Officials and Administrators of Florida

  • Product Approvals
  • Florida Product Approval

  • ICC Evaluation Reports Search

  • Miami-Dade NOA Search

  • Inspector and Contractor License Search
  • Search Florida Licenses

  • Technical links
  • Technical Information page

  • Contact Codeman

  • Custom Search

    IBC Residential

    IBC Residential

    New postby aaronm on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:15 am


    With the homebuilders going bust and into the commercial market by the hundreds I find myself in the position of having to inspect new condominiums from time to time. The IBC applies, but is cumbersome to pore over for the few residential references. Is there a publication you are aware of from ICC or otherwise that puts the IBC residential codes all in one place?


    "What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller
    Posts: 55
    Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:02 am

    Re: IBC Residential

    New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am

    Hi Aaron,

    No publication as such that I am aware of.

    The likely reason is that when the building is being designed, plan reviewed, constructed, and inspected, the entire building is being addressed and the entire building falls under the IBC.

    Only the individual dwelling units within a condominium building (or apartment building, hotel/motel, etc., with "dwelling units" as classified in the code under the residential occupancies) would fall under the residential sections of the IBC, and then only interior components specific to that dwelling unit would fall under the residential sections of the IBC.

    The common systems such as common walls, floors, ceilings, fire alarm systems, etc., would still fall under the non-dwelling unit requirements of the IBC.

    It would be difficult to break out the dwelling requirements from the IBC as some, such as fire alarms, would vary depending on the number of units, which would be related to the structure outside the individual dwelling unit, as would the type of sprinkler system, whether or not EERO are required, etc., just too many things to try to list.

    The best way to address condominium units during a home inspection would be to apply the IRC requirements, such as the stairway in a two story condominium units is required to meet the IBC requirements, however, the exceptions for within the dwelling unit make those requirements the same as in the IRC.

    Same for electrical receptacle outlets, lighting outlets, GFCI protection, AFCI protection, etc., all would be the same as for a single-family detached dwelling unit.

    The same would apply to the plumbing within the unit: minimum and maximum pressure, clearances at toilets, etc.

    Similar with the mechanical system to the extent the systems and components where present.
    Jerry Peck - CodeMan

    Construction and Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC.
    User avatar
    Jerry Peck - Codeman
    Site Admin
    Posts: 1112
    Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

    Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest