Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

adding weight to acoustical ceiling

adding weight to acoustical ceiling

New postby roxstar on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 am

I am looking to do add sound mitigation to a drop ceiling and was wondering what needs to be done with the added weight. First off, how do I find out if the frame can support the weight (I am unsure about the manufacturer of the system)? Is there a minimum that most systems support?

I've seen sound proofing websites that recommend doubling the amount of hangars to support the added weight. What does this mean as far as passing California building codes? Are there codes that specifically address this? Do I need an engineer to come out or would the info from the sound companies suffice? Do you know of any specific links to sites that might have information that could be used to show the city that doing something like doubling the hangars would work? I would prefer not to have to hire an engineer because of the cost.

Thank you.
roxstar

Re: adding weight to acoustical ceiling

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Some of your questions will be answered by the answer to this question: What is that room used for and where is it located?

If it is in a place a assembly (nightclub, theater, performing arts center, or other public place) then there would be more restrictive requirements placed on it as you would not want the ceiling to fall down onto the public.

If this were in a: private setting such as your house, there would be limited requirements; or in a recording studio, which would have more stringent requirements but possibly not as stringent as in a place of assembly; etc.

Practically speaking, if this is in a place of assembly, and the manufacturer of the suspended ceiling system is not known, then an engineer would need to determine the loading capability of the system main runner tees and cross tees, the load you are considering placing on the system, and could then state the spacing of the hangers, the type of hanger wire, the type of hanger support into the structural ceiling above, the method of attaching the main runner tees and cross tees together, etc.

There would be many things to consider in their engineering design and ultimate solution for approval or disapproval of modifying the existing system to the new use.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question