Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Manufacturer's Installation Instructions

Manufacturer's Installation Instructions

New postby InspectorStu on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Jerry,
In reference to the IRC 2006, is there a specific statement concerning the order of precedence in regards to manufacturer's installation instructions? Specifically, if the IRC does not make a statement about a particular installation, vinyl siding in this case, the manufacturer's installation instruction apply? IF so - what is the reference?
Thanks Stu
InspectorStu

Re: Manufacturer's Installation Instructions

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Stu,

There are different references at various sections in the IRC, but this would be the overall applicable reference when no other more specific reference is stated, and this is pretty specific in and of itself:

From the 2006 IRC.
- R102.1 General. Where, in any specific case, different sections of this code specify different materials, methods of construction or other requirements, the most restrictive shall govern. Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable.

"The code" has the "general" requirements, "the manufacturers' installation instructions" are the "specific requirements", thus, the code is subservient to the manufacturer's installation instructions, EXCEPT when the code is more restrictive as "the most restrictive shall govern".

Sometimes, it may get confusing because it states "Where there is a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement, the specific requirement shall be applicable.", which would indicate that the specific requirement would take precedence, however, before it states that, this is stated "the most restrictive shall govern". That means the most restrictive shall govern ... regardless whether it is in the general requirements or the specific requirements. Following that is that the specific requirements shall be applicable if they are as, or more, restrictive than the general requirements.

I realize I stated the same thing several ways, but that is a result of having had discussions on this issue with various contractors with the end result being that the specific requirements rules ... unless it is less restrictive than the general requirements. Whew!

Do you feel like we just danced around the mulberry bush too?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby InspectorStu on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks Jerry -
I have a client buying a new home by Toll Brothers. I did a preclosing inspection, which because it IS new construction, I am more stringent with things I find. In this case it was vinyl siding installed with no clearance allowed at blocking points. It was cloudy the day of inspection but even the project supervisor admitted there was visible buckling. They just got the Occupancy permit. The subcontractor said it was installed right (of course). They are fighting correcting the installation. I have Certainteed Installation instructions and forwarded the pertinent pages to my client, I just wanted to provide a reference to the order of precedence in the IRC. Plus, Virginia has State Code 55.70.1, Implied Warranty on New Homes that was instated as a kind of E&O policy for new home buyers for a period of 2 years after closing.
Stu
InspectorStu

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Stu,

InspectorStu wrote:The subcontractor said it was installed right (of course). They are fighting correcting the installation.

That is why I took you through those dance steps ... I figured there was something like that going on.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question