Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Building Contractor Exam Prep Question

Building Contractor Exam Prep Question

New postby mhawley on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey Jerry,

I am planning on getting a Fl. GC or Building Contractor license. Are there any exam prep programs that you can suggest. I found a lot of them online, but are there any programs or schools you know of, that have a good reputation and have been around for a while? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on some fly by night program that does not provide the material I need. I rather take an online or computer program. Any suggestions or advice you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Matt
mhawley

Re: Building Contractor Exam Prep Question

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Matt,

I would not even considered taking one of the tests without going to classes on it first.

When I took by Building Contractors, then my General Contractors exam, I went to a school in South Florida, however, the last I heard they are mostly doing things over the internet, video, DVD, etc., and you really need classroom time with the instructor.

After moving from South Florida to up here in Ormond Beach, I've taken classes at Contractor Institute in Hudson, Fl (place cursor over the link, right click to bring menu up, then select 'Open in New Window' or similar option - http://www.contractorsinstitute.com/ ) and the instructors are very knowledgeable and very good. Every time I have gone to classes there there are many contractors, inspectors, engineers, architects and building officials there (depending on the class I am taking). I highly recommend them.

Depending on your past experience, you may have to start with the Residential Contractor exam, possibly you might be approved for the Building Contractor exam. You would need to apply to the state ( http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/servop/te ... c_pack.pdf ) to be able to sit in on and take the exam, though.

Even if you took the classes without sitting for the license exam as your end goal, the knowledge gained is well worth it. Review the application for the state ( http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/servop/te ... c_pack.pdf ) then apply for the one you best fit in based on your past experience. If your intent is to only take the class if you can take the contractors test, then go through the application process first, otherwise, go ahead and sign up for and take a class, then retake it (at a greatly reduced fee - a minimal charge really) when you have been approved to take the exam - you can never learn all the information gone over in the class, going twice makes retaining more of it easier to do.

Good luck on your application and classes.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mhawley on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks for everything Jerry.
mhawley

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 am

Matt,

You are welcome and good luck on which ever course of action you take.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question