Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

old code info

old code info

New postby mparlee on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Jerry
I am involved with moisture intrusion and construction defect consulting; one seems to go hand in hand with the other. A builders hires based on price not on competence when it comes to the frame and exterior cladding of homes built in my area. I am constantly referring to the code under which the structure was built and need resources of this type. Many of the jurisdictions in my area have adopted the 2006 IRC but it was not that long ago they were operating under the 1997 UBC; we have one that went from the 1982 UBC to the 2003 IRC in 2004 and you can only imagine the headache that one is. In my state builders are responsible for construction defects for fifteen years and it is disheartening to see all of the problems that were caused during this time with all of the poorly performed details on the exterior of the building envelope that allow moisture to intrude. I see a lot of issues with the lack of building paper, clearance issues at grade and at roof lines, brick without weeps and through wall flashings, and poorly constructed and attached decks.
I am planning on purchasing the 1997 UBC and see it as three to four volumes; can you enlighten me on which ones I need to cover the structure, clearances, decks, and claddings?
I do own the 2003 IRC as well as the 06.
Any other books you recommend?

Mark Parlee
mparlee

Re: old code info

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Mark,

Are you in Iowa?

The first place to start is with the permit at the AHJ where the project is located. The permit should show the date of application for the permit and the code which the project was intended to be constructed under, which is not necessarily the code in effect at the time of construction as the application may have been submitted prior to a code change.

The AHJ should also have the old codes in archives as the code are "public records" and are required to be kept for the length of time as required by your state's public records law. Some AHJ will keep codes and information like that well beyond the required time, and some keep them 'forever', so to speak.

One source for older codes is the ICC as they may have some of the older codes still available,

Also, the historical UBC codes are available on CR-ROM, while they are not that easy to use, they are still usable for cases which are worth the effort.

The real problem comes in when you need to reference something in an old standard, and those standards, when still available, are not inexpensive.

Another source for old codes is eBay. I have a fairly extensive collection of old codes which I have collected over the years, and have even collected some old New York City and Los Angeles codes, along with one from Seattle, and some other places. For a while there I was simply buying whatever old code caught my eye, but that was getting expensive, like buying the ASTM Standards - that was a rather expensive purchase, but the job I needed them for covered the cost and now I have the ASTM Standards (from 2005).

When you buy something you need for a job, you bill that purchase to the job you need it for, then put that code or standard in your library for future use.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mparlee on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:22 pm

I am in Iowa
I am planning on purchasing the 97UBC due to the fact it was used extensively around here until the early 2000"s. I am on my second or third case and I think I am just getting started. The public library has some of the old code books but you can only look at them onsite; no check out
I see vol 1 & 2 available together for a couple hundred bucks brand new so it may be the way I go.

Thanks for the reply let me know if anything else comes to mind.
I will update you as to what I find

Mark Parlee
mparlee

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:44 pm

This is the 3 volume set of the 1997 UBC: http://www.bookmarki.com/1997-Uniform-B ... 099l97.htm for $261.00. I'd get all 3 volumes if you are doing construction consulting and litigation work. The last you thing you will want to run into is where one volume references another volume and you do not have that volume ... makes the volumes you do have almost worthless when you stand up in court and try to state a fact, one which you really only have a partial answer to, and then have to admit that, well, you do not know what Volume 3 said about what you are talking about - makes your entire testimony unbelievable, and then you find out later that Volume 3 did not even say anything about what you were testifying on ... but you did not know that. It's about building credibility and that is one sure fire quick way to lose credibility - to not know what you are testifying about.

I prefer codes on CD (searchable, print an entire page out in pdf), then hard bound (preferably both CD and hard bound). Note, though, that loose leaf books (like the ones in the link above) are easier to scan/copy than hard bound or soft bound books.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mparlee on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Very good points, thank you

I do have a great scanner that inputs to a PDF

Mark Parlee
mparlee

New postby mparlee on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Bought em, got em almost $300

Loose leaf so I can scan

Now I need the IRC2000
Glad I can get it for $47 on CD
mparlee

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question