Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Spaces Under Integral Bleacher/Grandstand

Spaces Under Integral Bleacher/Grandstand

New postby Jason_K9 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 pm

We have an indoor arena project with a grandstand. We have restrooms, locker room storage, fitness center, and some offices partially tucked under a portion of the Grandstand. IIB construction, fully sprinkled (except over ice sheets - not required)
Q1: Do we need to rate the walls/ceiling under the bleacher per 1028? Nothing else in the building is rated/fire separated.

Our bleachers are installed on sloped Wide flange beams with a modular aluminum system for the seating and walking surfaces. My argument is that these bleachers are "building elements" and would not be subject to the requirements of 1028.1.1 and its subsequent provisions?
Jason_K9

Re: Spaces Under Integral Bleacher/Grandstand

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Which code are you addressing?

The 2015 IBC, in Section 1028 Exit Discharge, addresses exit discharges, not fire resistance ratings.

The definition for "building element" (2015 IBC) is:
- Building Element. A fundamental component of building construction, listed in Table 601, which may or may not be of fire-resistance-rated construction and is constructed of materials based on building type of construction.

Which "building element" listed in Table 601 are you considering the bleachers as being?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Spaces Under Integral Bleacher/Grandstand

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 pm

I think I am understanding your question better after having read it several times, but your reference to 1028 is what is not matching what I think the question is - presuming that you are referring to 1028 of the IBC as Chapter 10 is Means of Egress.

You are referring to, I think, a permanent grandstand seating area which will have " ... restrooms, locker room storage, fitness center, and some offices partially tucked under a portion of the Grandstand".

Using the previously supplied definition of "building elements" and its reference to Table 601(this time using the 2018 IBC, which is basically the same as the 2015 in this respect), I suspect that you are considering the grandstand structure, seating, floor area, etc, to be "secondary members" . Based on that presumption:

- From the 2018 IBC
- - Table 601
- - - Fire-Resistance Rating Requirements For Building Element (Hours)
- - - - Floor construction and associated secondary members (see Section 202)
- - - - - (Jerry's note: I presume this is referencing the definition of Secondary Members")

- - Type IIB shows "Floor construction and associated secondary members" (if per the definition in 202) as requiring "0" hours protection ... with no notes applicable to "Type II", "B", or "Floor construction and associated secondary members".

I am still not understanding the reference to 1028?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)