Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Interpretation of IBC Egress Illumination Exceptions

Interpretation of IBC Egress Illumination Exceptions

New postby lfwestra on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:27 am

The latest IBC I have available is 2003 but I assume '06 & '09 are similar.
I'm confused about the exceptions for dwellilng and sleeping units in Groups R-1,R-2,R-3 under Sect. 1006 Means of egress illumination, 1006.1 Illumination required. Specifically, is 24 hr. illumination required for public stairways in a B&B?
Thanks,
Len W.
lfwestra

Re: Interpretation of IBC Egress Illumination Exceptions

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Len,

First, let's start with the definitions of "dwelling units" and "sleeping units" as that should clarify what is exempt and what is not.

From the 2006 IBC.
- DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.
- SLEEPING UNIT. A room or space in which people sleep, which can also include permanent provisions for living, eating, and either sanitation or kitchen facilities but not both. Such rooms and spaces that are also part of a dwelling unit are not sleeping units.

As you are asking about a Bed & Breakfast, the "dwelling unit" exemption would not be applicable, however, the "sleeping unit" exemption would be applicable, but only for the "sleeping unit" portion of the Bed & Breakfast occupancy which is, presuming the normal B&B where the occupants are primarily transient, a Group R-1 Occupancy:
- R-1 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature, including:
- - Boarding houses (transient)
- - Hotels (transient)
- - Motels (transient)

The exception in 1006.1 exempts out only the "sleeping unit" portion of the B&B, think of it as exempting out a hotel room in a hotel where the corridors are always illuminated but in the hotel room itself all illumination is allowed to be turned off to allow the occupants to go to sleep - the "means of egress" starts at the door from the hotel room to the corridor, then continues to the exit and the exit discharge, all of which are required to be illuminated:
- 1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.
- - Exceptions:
- - - 1. Occupancies in Group U.
- - - 2. Aisle accessways in Group A.
- - - 3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2 and R-3.
- - - 4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.

1006.1.3 allows the actual room(s), i.e., "sleeping units", to be exempt from the 24 hour illumination requirement, which includes the room(s) up to, and including, the door which opens to the means of egress corridor. When that egress door from the sleeping unit is opened to the means of egress corridor, the means of egress is required to be illuminated 24 hours per day while the building is occupied.

Hopefully that sheds a new light on that section and the exception.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Interpretation of IBC Egress Illumination Exceptions

New postby lfwestra on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Jerry-
Your response was most helpful and confirmed what I was assuming and hoping.
Thanks very much!

Len
lfwestra

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)