Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Egress Sprinklered Building

Egress Sprinklered Building

New postby letnes01 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

I viewed a condo for sale in Alton, New Hampshire. The building had residential units and commercial store fronts.

It seemed that the bedroom windows were too small, but I was told that the building had sprinklers so the windows did not need to be 5.7 square feet.

Is this true?

Thanks.
letnes01

Re: Egress Sprinklered Building

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Depending on the type of sprinkler system.

Among the many types of sprinkler systems are these most common types, NFPA 13, 13D, and 13R, each with different requirements with NFPA 13 being the most restrictive/most complex/most complete.

NFPA 13 sprinkler systems are for higher rated occupancies, for example:
- [F] 903.3.1.1 NFPA 13 sprinkler systems. Where the provisions of this code require that a building or portion thereof be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with this section, sprinklers shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13 except as provided in Section.

NFPA 13 sprinkler systems are the most complex and are applicable to most buildings for the required protection.

The next step down is NFPA 13R sprinkler systems which are allowed in buildings of Group R (residential) occupancies, such as your condo building where the condos are *IF* the building is four stories in height or less. The other portions of the building would require an NFPA 13 sprinkler system.
- [F] 903.3.1.2 NFPA 13R sprinkler systems. Where allowed in buildings of Group R, up to and including four stories in height, automatic sprinkler systems shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13R.

The next step down is NFPA 13D sprinkler systems which are allowed in buildings which are one- and two-family dwellings.
- [F] 903.3.1.3 NFPA 13D sprinkler systems. Where allowed, automatic sprinkler systems in one- and two-family dwellings shall be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13D.

For Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings, the sprinklers affect their requirement as follows: (bold and underlining are mine)
- EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE
- - 1026.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue in Group R and I-1 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.
- - - Exceptions:
- - - - 1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. (Jerry's note: A one- and two-family dwelling is Group R-3; 903.3.1.1 = NFPA 13 sprinkler system and 903.3.1.2 = NFPA 13R sprinkler system. Your condo would be in an R-2 occupancy, meaning that it would need either an NFPA 13 or 13R sprinkler system and then an Emergency Escape and Rescue Opening would not be required at all.)
- - - - 2. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, sleeping rooms provided with a door to a fire-resistance-rated corridor having access to two remote exits in opposite directions.(Jerry's note: A one- and two-family dwelling is Group R-3. Your condo would be in an R-2 occupancy, meaning that if the sleeping room opened to a fire-resistance rated corridor which had exists in to opposite directions, then an Emergency Escape and Rescue Opening would not be required at all, however, this would not apply to a condo, an example of this would be a dormitory room which is one room containing the living and sleeping area in one room and that room opens directly to a fire-resistance rated corridor.)
- - - - 3. The emergency escape and rescue opening is permitted to open onto a balcony within an atrium in accordance with the requirements of Section 404, provided the balcony provides access to an exit and the dwelling unit or sleeping unit has a means of egress that is not open to the atrium.
- - - - 4. Basements with a ceiling height of less than 80 inches (2032 mm) shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue windows.
- - - - 5. High-rise buildings in accordance with Section 403.
- - - - 6. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required from basements or sleeping rooms that have an exit door or exit access door that opens directly into a public way or to a yard, court or exterior exit balcony that opens to a public way.
- - - - 7. Basements without habitable spaces and having no more than 200 square feet (18.6 m2) in floor area shall not be required to have emergency escape windows.
(Note that I am presuming the other exceptions do not apply to what you are describing.)

Hopefully I did not provide too much information, however, there was no easy answer ... well, unless I simply said "It depends."

I tried to explain the "It depends." to answer the as yet unasked questions.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)