Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Egress windows

Egress windows

New postby Timham on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 am

Hello Jerry,

Looking for any clarification regarding window lock maximum height in sleeping rooms. The house in question is a 2017, SFH (new construction). A Miami Dade 2017 SFH with a 88 inch upper lock seems a bit too high.

Thanks JP,
Tim
Timham

Re: Egress windows

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Tim,

The code, in its infinite wisdom ... or lack thereof ... deems 54" high to be child-resistant for pool barriers, etc, related to a pool - however, the code fails to establish that same requirement for operational constraints on EEROs:
- From the 2014 FBC-Residential:
- - R310.1.4 Operational constraints.
- - - Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

Thus, the way I've always addressed EERO locks which were above 54" was to refer to the requirements for pool barriers, alarms, windows, etc, and point out that the code establishes 54" as the minimum height for those locks, latches, etc, to keep them above the operational reach of small children so the small children do not die in the pool, but ... the code allows not-thinking-contractors and not-thinking-window-manufacturers to trap your small child in a bedroom where they will die in a fire ... and it is said that burning to death is the most painful and agonizing way to die ...

I then let that soak in with everyone (especially when contractors are with their buyers), then offer the buyers my services to go after the contractor should such a thing happen, and that the buyer is starting out already winning the lawsuit by making the contractor aware of the issue and the contractor refusing to address the issue.

There are some dimwitted numb-skull contractors who refuse to correct the condition ... but very few ... as I recommend to the contractor to call their attorney and their insurance company to report that the condition exists.

The code is the "most unsafe one is legally allowed to build" ... the code does NOT establish a level of being "safe".
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)