Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Florida Energy Conservation Code 2010

Florida Energy Conservation Code 2010

New postby RobShepp on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Jerry,
I recently changed my inspections from just checking for permits to actually visiting the Building Department on every job, reguardless of the build date of the structure. One of the things that interests me is new structures, I'm starting to get a better client base from attorney referals. That being said, one thing really interested me about the Florida Energy Conservation Code. Specifically, the difference between 401.2 compliance 1 & 2 and what I should look for in the paperwork at the Building Department. The structure was built in 2014(completed in August) and had EPL cards for 2 5 ton A/C systems with R-6 ductwork in the non-conditioned space(attic). During construction, the 2-5 ton system was changed to 3 systems, 2-3 ton systems and 1-5 ton system, but the EPL cards were never changed. I questioned the city inspector on why they allowed the system to be oversized by 1 ton compared to the EPL cards and was told over-sizing of the A/c's by 15% is allowed. We know that's not true, as acca manual-s is required based off of the manual-j load calculations per 403.6.1. Also, there was no documentation as required to show compliance with 405, so the ductwork should have been R-8 in unconditioned space. I just want to make sure I understand this portion of the code properly and what documentation should be available to show compliance.

thanks again.
RobShepp

Re: Florida Energy Conservation Code 2010

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Rob,

Talk with Tom Glynn on the energy stuff. We've had a few conversations on the energy forms but Tom has taken it to a higher level and investigated the forms more deeply than I.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Energy: Energy code questions