Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

OSB

OSB

New postby Richard on Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

We are working on a restaurant in which we are creating a ceiling armature within a type'x' fire-rated space. The armature runs the length of the space. We were hoping to use OSB with an applied wood and/or acrylic veneer, but are not sure if the OSB would be approved for such a use. We'd prefer to not use ply due to its weight. Any thoughts would be helpful...
Richard

Re: OSB

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Richard,

Richard wrote:we are creating a ceiling armature within a type'x' fire-rated space

I presume you are meaning some architectural ceiling feature which is to be lighted. All of the luminaires would be required to be suitably rated for the space if they are in a confined space with little ventilation.

I'm also not sure what you mean by a "type'x' fire-rated space". Do you mean the ceiling/attic system is a fire-rated system, that there is a ceiling/floor system which is fire-rated? Is this free-standing or separated from other occupancies by the required fire-rated partitions?

We were hoping to use OSB with an applied wood and/or acrylic veneer, but are not sure if the OSB would be approved for such a use.

Without knowing more specifics, I would venture to say only if the OSB is fire retardant treated and rated as such, and even then there may be limits placed on its use.

We'd prefer to not use ply due to its weight.

Between OSB and plywood, OSB weighs more than the plywood does of the same thickness, so I'm not quite understanding you on that point.

Will this be up against an insulated ceiling? if so, any recessed luminaires would be required to be IC (insulated ceiling) rated as well as AT (air-tight) rated.

I realize that I've probably raised more questions than I've answered, if I have even answered any.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: OSB

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Richard,

Why not use metal framing and gypsum board for the structure of that?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Drywall / gypsum board: non-fire resistance rated; Type X fire-resistance rated; plaster board (blue board); rock lath (for plastering); exterior gypsum sheathing