Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Chinese drywall

Chinese drywall

New postby UnionKat on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi
My home was built by Habitat in 2006/07. My drywall in the attic says "Made in China"
Habitat claims their drywall was tested and safe. They did not test in my home at all.
They sent me a letter saying so.
Should we trust them?
We have had a few electrical problems, and a lot of family illness.
Any response would be appreciated.
Kat
UnionKat

Re: Chinese drywall

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:06 pm

UnionKat wrote:My home was built by Habitat in 2006/07. My drywall in the attic says "Made in China"

Your home was definitely constructed during the time frame with defective imported drywall, which is basically 2000 to 2008 (by the end of 2008 most contractors were aware NOT TO INSTALL drywall from China, even if they had it in their stock).

Habitat claims their drywall was tested and safe. They did not test in my home at all.
They sent me a letter saying so.

The only way to know if your drywall is not defective is to test it to its base elements and determine the make-up chemicals of your specific drywall. Without that testing there is no way to determine that your drywall is not defective.

Did you review the information on this post ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=138&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ) and check for the things shown in those links, starting with this link: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Environment/ ... ition.html
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Major Construction Issues (Chinese Drywall)