Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Junction boxes

Junction boxes

New postby ceinspect on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 am

I am stumped. What would be appropriate language to describe the code requirements for junction boxes without saying "code". Example: clamps, covers, splices (wire nuts) etc. I do not consider myself a code "expert", but when a code issue arises I would like to be able to explain in layman's terms.
Thanks, Terry in IL
If you haven't got time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to fix it?
ceinspect

Re: Junction boxes

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Terry,

Not quite sure what you are asking, but as I read it, this may be what you are looking for:

Commonly accepted construction practices (you could change that to "electrical wiring practices" for greater specificity, however, "electrical wiring" is a phase of "construction") requires/allows/prohibits (then describe what you are talking about).

Here is an example: Commonly accepted construction practices requires covers on all junction boxes.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby ceinspect on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks Mr. Peck,
So I could say, "Commonly accepted construction practices requires all junction boxes to be secured to the structure, covers on all junction boxes, strain relief clamps on all wires entering junction boxes and proper wire nuts without electrical tape on them." How does that sound? Terry
If you haven't got time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to fix it?
ceinspect

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Terry,

The following is better. There are various types of wire connectors and not just wire nuts, also there is nothing against taping them afterward provided the tape is for wasteful purposes and not to cover up exposed conductors not in the connector. I also changed "on all wires" to "on all cables" as that is a much more accurate way to say it, then I changed/added a few other things too.

ceinspect wrote:"Commonly accepted construction practices require all junction boxes to be properly secured to the structure, covers on all junction boxes, strain relief clamps on all cables entering the junction boxes, and the use of proper wire connectors at all splices and taps."

Note that most plastic junction/outlet boxes have built-in strain reliefs.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.