Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

200 or 400A service

200 or 400A service

New postby Marc M on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:22 pm

Hey Jerry,
This SEP has DBL 200's. One serves the SEP and the other is to a remote which has DBL 100's for two other remote panels. So anyhow, would you call this a 400A service?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: 200 or 400A service

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi Marc,

The service equipment size is not always easy to determine as it is not always as simple as determining the smallest ratings of the service entrance conductors, the service (main) disconnect rating, and the rating of the service equipment, as is evident in your posted photos.

The best way to approach installations as that is to think of those as split buss panels in which one cannot add up the sizes of the 1-6 disconnects to obtain a total for a service disconnect rating. In your case, instead of a split bus panel with up to 6 breakers, you have two breakers, however the same holds true - they cannot be added together to determine the service disconnect rating. Also, you have bus bars as service entrance conductors and cannot size them by conductor size.

The best way to address those installation is to read the label (the information was not shown on the portion of the label in the photo with part of the label showing), let's presume that label stated the rating of the equipment is 400 amps maximum, in which case I would state: "The service equipment rating is listed as 400 amps maximum and contains two 200 amp disconnects."

Another example would be the very same service equipment with a 150 amp disconnect and a 200 amp disconnect (which is not uncommon), with this example I would state: "The service equipment rating is listed as 400 amps maximum and contains one 200 amp disconnect and one 150 amp disconnect."

Do you have a photo of the label showing the equipment ratings or did you make notes of the ratings?

Also, on a different note, as shown in the first photo the right panel (or whatever it is) is shown as what appears to be recessed into the wall. The exterior cabinets need to be surface mounted with a minimum of 1/4 inch air space behind the cabinet enclosure to the wall to allow for air flow to keep the enclosure dry from condensation. I cannot tell if the service equipment on the left is that way or if it is surface mounted.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Here you are...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Marc,

Jerry Peck - Codeman wrote:let's presume that label stated the rating of the equipment is 400 amps maximum, in which case I would state: "The service equipment rating is listed as 400 amps maximum and contains two 200 amp disconnects."

That is the way I would say it.

Does that equal 400 amps in this case? Yes. But I would still state it as above.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:56 am

Thanks Jerry...
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 am

Glad to be able to help and be of assistance.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.