Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

SEP to pools edge

SEP to pools edge

New postby Marc M on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:07 am

Jerry,
Do you have a NEC Code section for the set-back of the service equipment to the pools edge? Thank you
Marc M

Re: SEP to pools edge

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 am

Hi Marc,

Overhead conductor clearance is in 680.8 and Table 680.8.
From the 2008 NEC. (bold and underlining are mine)
- 680.8 Overhead Conductor Clearances.
- - Overhead conductors shall meet the clearance requirements in this section. Where a minimum clearance from the water level is given, the measurement shall be taken from the maximum water level of the specified body of water.
- - - (A) Power. With respect to service drop conductors and open overhead wiring, swimming pool and similar installations shall comply with the minimum clearances given in Table 680.8 and illustrated in Figure 680.8.
- - - - FPN: Open overhead wiring as used in this article typically refers to conductor(s) not in an enclosed raceway.
Swimming_Pool_Clearances_Overhead_Conductors.jpg

- - - (B) Communications Systems. Communication, radio, and television coaxial cables within the scope of Articles 800 through 820 shall be permitted at a height of not less than 3.0 m (10 ft) above swimming and wading pools, diving structures, and observation stands, towers, or platforms.
- - - (C) Network-Powered Broadband Communications Systems. The minimum clearances for overhead network-powered broadband communications systems conductors from pools or fountains shall comply with the provisions in Table 680.8 for conductors operating at 0 to 750 volts to ground.

This is for underground conductors clearances.
- 680.10 Underground Wiring Location.
- - Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or within the area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of the pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance 1.5 m (5 ft) or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion resistant and suitable for the location. The minimum cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.
Swimming_Pool_Underground_Conductors_Cover_Depth.jpg

- 680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means.
- - One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.

Thus, when all is said and done, the service equipment and the underground service laterals would need to be at least 5 feet from the inside wall of the pool - which would be the closest option available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Got it, much thanks. Hey on a side note, have you seen that COA National Claims Consultant course that Kevin O malley is doing? Just wondering what you thought of it since that is your expertise.
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Marc M wrote:Hey on a side note, have you seen that COA National Claims Consultant course that Kevin O malley is doing? Just wondering what you thought of it since that is your expertise.

Have not seen it.

I started to sign up then they wanted money for what may be nothing, so I left it as it was and dropped it.

I don't like paying money for someone to train me, then certify me, then charge me to be listed for work - just seems like someone else is already doing that with horrific results (I believe you know what I mean).

No doubt they are good, they are both smart people, but Kevin gave a couple of presentations at some FABI meetings years ago and was offering up some incorrect information ... nothing wrong with that if you are willing to listen and correct what is wrong, but he was not. That was back when he had ITA.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.