Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

UL Classified Temporary Panel Cover

UL Classified Temporary Panel Cover

New postby Joe Tedesco on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:59 am

TempCovers(TM): The New UL Classified Temporary Panel Cover

Recently introduced were the new TempCovers(TM), one of the latest and most unique safety devices that will increase productivity, at IEEE Safety Conference in Dallas, Rockwell Automation's Complete Automation on the Move (CAOTM) in Cleveland, and at the St. Louis Electrical Expo in Missouri recently.

These temporary cabinet covers are called TempCovers(TM) and meet OSHA standards and provide easy and safe access to an electrical panelboard that is being serviced or inspected by a qualified person. TempCovers(TM) not only cover and uncover the electrical access to a panelboard in seconds, but they also provide necessary signage that indicates dangerous high voltage risk.

No longer will electricians or inspectors need to prolong service times by removing and reattaching a cabinet door. Instead, with TempCovers(TM) and their non-conductive, shock-reducing magnets, electricians or inspectors can attach their TempCover(TM) in a matter of seconds.

Question: I am just looking for answers to a question about the use of magnets to remove a cabinet cover from energized equipment to inspect a panelboard.

Question: Has anyone used magnets to remove a cabinet cover, and are they designed for that use?

Question: How about non-conductive, shock-reducing magnets mentioned above what are they?
Joe Tedesco, NECĀ® Codeman
Joe Tedesco

Re: UL Classified Temporary Panel Cover

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Joe,

Excellent information on those TempCovers.

Joe Tedesco wrote:Question: I am just looking for answers to a question about the use of magnets to remove a cabinet cover from energized equipment to inspect a panelboard.

Question: Has anyone used magnets to remove a cabinet cover, and are they designed for that use?

Question: How about non-conductive, shock-reducing magnets mentioned above what are they?

Have not seen any which I would deem as intended for that purpose, although I saw some in a video being used for such.

I have concerns regarding their use as displayed in that video, though.

Anyone reading these posts familiar with magnets designed and intended for that purpose? If so, please let Joe and myself know, thanks.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Joe Tedesco on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Jerry Peck - Codeman wrote:Hi Joe,

Excellent information on those TempCovers.

Joe Tedesco wrote:Question: I am just looking for answers to a question about the use of magnets to remove a cabinet cover from energized equipment to inspect a panelboard.

Have not seen any which I would deem as intended for that purpose, although I saw some in a video being used for such.

I have concerns regarding their use as displayed in that video, though.

Anyone reading these posts familiar with magnets designed and intended for that purpose? If so, please let Joe and myself know, thanks.

Jerry:

Are we thinking about this video where magnets are being used?

Here's a short clip of that video:

http://www.nachi.org/electrical-training-video.htm

http://www.nachi.org/paul-abernathy

Introduction
Training Video Objective:

The purpose of this training video is to teach good practice on how to perform an inspection of the common components of a residential electrical system, including the service, panelboard, "sub"panel, meter, kitchen, bathroom, and interior. You will learn how to inspect an electrical panel, including identifying common electrical violations, defects and concerns. Follow the instructor as he performs inspections at mock-up panels and components in the studio and on-location at two residential properties.

Topics Covered:

Grounding, bonding, determining the service, safety procedures, common electrical defects and concerns, inspecting the panel, "sub"panel, double-taps, over-fusing, sizing the a/c breaker, multi-wire branch circuits, aluminum wires, electric dryers and appliances, service conductors, grounding rods, water pipes, electrical inspection devices and tools, infrared, Federal Pacific, Zinsco, GFCI and AFCI breakers and receptacles, proper procedures for testing devices, electrical violations, and more.

Instructor:
Paul W. Abernathy, the Electrical Guru.

Question: Jerry I know you just love when the term SubPanel is used, car to tell us how happy you get when you see this terrm being used?

Can someone tell us about this new video please.
Joe Tedesco, NECĀ® Codeman
Joe Tedesco

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:55 am

Hi Joe,

Joe Tedesco wrote:Are we thinking about this video where magnets are being used?

Yes, that is the video.

I can see the use of those magnets potentially causing a problem with the removal or re-installation of that cover.

Question: Jerry I know you just love when the term SubPanel is used, car to tell us how happy you get when you see this term being used?

If one is a navy electrician or inspector, then they well could be looking at a Sub-panel, which only exists in submarines.

The term is not recognized by the NEC and it makes no difference in how the panel is wired, all it does is create confusion in the minds of some (many?).

There is "service equipment" at which the neutral is bonded to ground. There may be, or many not be, a panelboard within that "service equipment" and the panelboard has no effect on the neutral being bonded to ground at the "service equipment".

There is "non-service equipment" panels, those are panels which are not part of the "service equipment" and those panels are wired with the neutral isolated from ground.

The panels which are not part of the service equipment are simply "panels" - derived from "panelboards" which includes the interior panelboard and which is installed in an enclosure, with "panel" being the shortened term of the entire assembly of the panelboard and its enclosure. Or, if one choses, panels are also referred to as "loadcenters", "distribution panels", and some even call them "remote panels" - however, I like to simple things so I use the term "panel" instead of those longer to type names.

The term "sub-panel" originated from a panel which was fed from a breaker installed upstream of the panelboard. This became a "sub-fed panel" which was shortened to "sub-panel". With this being the case, and because all panels are to be protected on their line side, that would make *ALL* panels "sub-fed panels". If *ALL* panels are "sub-fed panels" then there is no differentiation which needs to be made between types of panels.

The simple fact is that the NEC does not recognize the terms "main panel, "subpanel", "sub-panel", or "sub panel". In fact, "all panels created equal" in how the panels are to be wired.

Even a panel which is within the service equipment is wired the same - it is "the service equipment" which has the neutral bonded to ground, and whether or not there is a panel in the service equipment is of no consequence to that fact.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.