Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Max installed height of Panel

Max installed height of Panel

New postby Bruce Ramsey on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:19 am

E3305 describes the working space required in front of a panel. I am not able to find a specific reference to the actual installed height of an electrical panel.

Some one mentioned on a different forum "The NEC allows the middle of the highest operating handle to be 6' 7", 2 meters above the floor." I have requested they post a reference but would be interested if you could post a reference so I can read and learn more.

Thanks.
Bruce Ramsey
US Inspect
Atlanta, Ga
Bruce Ramsey

Re: Max installed height of Panel

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Bruce,

There is no limitation on the height of an electrical panel, either high or low, there is, however, as you stated, a maximum height for the handle for operation of the overcurrent protection, and the wording in the code measures to "the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform".

From the 2008 NEC (which is unchanged from the 2005 NEC). (underlining and bold are mine)
- 240.24 Location in or on Premises.
- - (A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform, unless one of the following applies:
- - - (1) For busways, as provided in 368.17(C).
- - - (2) For supplementary overcurrent protection, as described in 240.10.
- - - (3) For overcurrent devices, as described in 225.40 and 230.92.
- - - (4) For overcurrent devices adjacent to utilization equipment that they supply, access shall be permitted to be by portable means

For panels, the above exceptions to the 6 feet 7 inches height would apply.

Remember, you would measure to 'the center of the grip handle' with the operating grip handle 'at its highest position', and at that point the maximum allowed height is 6 feet 7 inches.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Bruce Ramsey on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you. I know that the issue had been discussed on Inspection News but more from a min height. I recalled there was no mim above the floor but I have been using the work space diminsions for the panel installation max height as a rule of thumb. So far have not personally inspected any panels that were installed in an abnormally high position.

Now I know, 6.7" to center of handle.
Bruce Ramsey
US Inspect
Atlanta, Ga
Bruce Ramsey

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Bruce Ramsey wrote:Now I know, 6.7" to center of handle.

Correct. 6 feet 7 inches. At its highest position.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.