Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Panel location

Panel location

New postby Tom Rees on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Is a distribution panel allowed in a bedroom?
Tom Rees

Re: Panel location

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:16 am

Hi Tom,

Yes, a panelboard is allowed to be installed in a bedroom - but not in a clothes closet.

However, the "Yes." is actually a "Yes, but." in that the panelboard *IS* allowed to be installed in the bedroom, it *IS NOT* allowed to be installed in the vicinity of easily ignitable material, i.e., not over a bed - even though that location is not stated in the code as such, the code does state "easily ignitable material" and then states "such as" and then adds "clothes closets".

Bed sheets, blankets., etc., *are* easily ignitable material, just as clothes are.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Panel location

New postby feenbroarve on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am

I am still at least a year from even starting my plane. I am trying to sell my house right now. I just dont want to build my fuse and then 3 years from now find I cant fit what I want on it.

How hard is it to cut a panel after ist been installed.

I know how things change over a short period of time. Ive even wondered if the engine monitor I show on my panel would work with a Rotary engine. Im just trying to get every thought in my head cleard up before I start. If im going to take 3-9 years building something I want it to be perfect.

Lynn
feenbroarve

Re: Panel location

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm

feenbroarve wrote:I am still at least a year from even starting my plane. I am trying to sell my house right now. I just dont want to build my fuse and then 3 years from now find I cant fit what I want on it.

How hard is it to cut a panel after ist been installed.

I know how things change over a short period of time. Ive even wondered if the engine monitor I show on my panel would work with a Rotary engine. Im just trying to get every thought in my head cleard up before I start. If im going to take 3-9 years building something I want it to be perfect.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

You are inquiring about airplane panels on a forum about building construction codes - you will need to ask that on another forum, one for persons building their home-built "experimental" aircraft.

Try these:
- http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/
- http://www.homebuilt.org/
- http://exp-aircraft.com/
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.