Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Appliance Disconnects

Appliance Disconnects

New postby Thomas Kessel on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:09 am

Does a Commercial appliance, commercial dishwasher(over 300 va) in a institutional setting within sight of the circuit breakers require an additional disconnect, I thought taht they did but can't find the code reference
Tom
Thomas Kessel

Re: Appliance Disconnects

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am

Tom,

As long as the breaker has a locking device installed where the breaker can be locked off, is within straight-line sight of the appliance, and within 50 feet of the appliance, no additional disconnect is required.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Appliance Disconnects

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:27 pm

A reader pointed out that I butchered my answer in the way I wrote it, kind of like saying 'The man bit the dog.' when I meant to say 'The dog bit the man.', same words but totally different meaning ...

Tom asked: Does a Commercial appliance, commercial dishwasher(over 300 va) in a institutional setting within sight of the circuit breakers require an additional disconnect, I thought that they did but can't find the code reference."

My answer should have been switched around to read: As long as the breaker has a locking device installed where the breaker can be locked off, no additional disconnect is required within straight-line sight of the appliance or within 50 feet of the appliance.

I was waiting for the reader to post the above correction, however, as he did not, I posted the correct wording.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.