Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Pool remote panel grounding

Pool remote panel grounding

New postby Marc M on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:38 am

Jerry,
Does the grounding conductor have to be installed seperatly from the nuetral bus? If you notice, they (green/white) are both in the grounded bus.
The lower pic is the grounding bus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: Pool remote panel grounding

New postby Marc M on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 am

Here are a couple of drawing I did. I suppose my question is; if the main has seperate busses, then does the pool panel have to seperate where they place their grounds in the main? Or does it even matter?

Also, if you notice the the first picture the two grounds are placed in the bottom nuetral bus and NOT in the upper grounding bus. This is correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Markus,

Marc M wrote:Does the grounding conductor have to be installed seperatly from the nuetral bus?

Yes, the neutral conductors need to be isolated from the grounding conductors in any panel down stream from the service equipment panel.

Marc M wrote:Here are a couple of drawing I did. I suppose my question is; if the main has seperate busses, then does the pool panel have to seperate where they place their grounds in the main? Or does it even matter?

In your drawings, the panel marked "Main" (which, by the way, you do realize means nothing, right?) is, I am presuming, the "Service Equipment" (which means a lot), and, *IF* such is the case, the neutrals and grounds in the "Service Equipment" are allowed to either be on one terminal bar or on separate terminal bars which are bonded together.

The pool panel feeders will effectively start out at the "service equipment" with the ground and neutral bonded together (either on the same terminal bar or by having separate terminal bars bonded together), however, as soon as those feeders leave the service equipment enclosure, the ground and neutral is no longer allowed to touch, come in contact with each other, or be bonded together - the neutral is required to be kept isolated from ground as soon as it leaves the service equipment enclosure.

Also, if you notice the the first picture the two grounds are placed in the bottom nuetral bus and NOT in the upper grounding bus. This is correct?

As long as that is service equipment it would not matter as the ground terminal bar would be required to be bonded to the neutral terminal bar anyway.

Now, if that enclosure you are calling the "Main" IS NOT the "service equipment", then the above information will change.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:51 pm

My mistake, I did mean to say SEP.
Okay, your answer is what i figured. I shouldnt doubt myself but it's sometimes difficult when you read things on "other" forums.
Thanks for your time.
Marc M

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.