Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Panelboard in firewall

Panelboard in firewall

New postby Marc M on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Jerry,
what if any, are the minimum requirements for the installation of an SEP/remote panelboard into a fire rated wall assembly?
BTW, just wondering if the term "remote panelbaord" is an NEC term?
Marc M

Re: Panelboard in firewall

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Marc,

Marc M wrote:what if any, are the minimum requirements for the installation of an SEP/remote panelboard into a fire rated wall assembly?

Are you referring to an actual fire-resistance rated assembly or to a "separation" wall between a private garage and its adjoining dwelling unit?

Regarding the electrical panel (which is my preferred term as it designates either a service equipment panel or a non-service equipment panel, i.e., 'remote panel') in an actual fire-resistance rated assembly, that would not be allowed without continuing the fire-resistance rated assembly around behind the electrical panel enclosure.

Regarding it being installed in a separation wall, there are two camps on that. One is 'Oh, it isn't that bad and it's always been done.', which some how makes it okay, I guess. The other is 'No, that is not allowed as the minimum 1/2 inch gypsum board has a large hole in it now.'

I have not yet seen where the electrical panel is a substitute for the 1/2 inch gypsum board, but I can understand the reasoning for the other side. That reasoning being that if the electrical panel enclosure is designed to keep an electrical fire *in* the panel enclosure, then it should also work to keep a fire *out* of the panel enclosure. One must admit that the argument makes sense, but still ... it is approved for that use? And that I am not sure of.

The term "remote panelboard" is not an NEC term, but it is sometimes used to differentiate a panel which is not the service equipment and is "remote" from the service equipment, i.e., it is not a service equipment panel.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks Jerry,
Sounds to me like its an IOR's choice to have one placed in a firewall. Perhaps a Grey area or "spirit of the code" item.
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Marc,

Marc M wrote:Sounds to me like its an IOR's choice

"IOR"? What or who is that?

in a firewall

In a "firewall" ... no.

In a separation wall ... well, no, but ...

... but at least it is "not as bad" as in a firewall. Not because there is any difference in the panel in either type of wall, it is because there is a difference in the wall's construction and the wall's intended purpose.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 am

Inspector Of Record= IOR.
Typically, they are assigned a project and they are the individuals in charge, after Architect but do not supersede OSHPOD inspectors. OSHPOD oversees hospital inspections.
Marc M

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.