Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Access Covers

Access Covers

New postby aaronm on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Codeman,

The recently adopted SOP for Texas real estate inspectors is likely to say this when the planned commentary is published this summer:

Commentary -- The standards of practice dictate that panels provided for observation
of items required for inspection by the standards of practice be opened. These
panels include access panels for bathtub drains, hydro therapy bathtub pumps and
motors, dishwasher pumps, motors, water supply pipes and electrical components,
the electrical components of water heaters and central heaters and the dead fronts
on main disconnects, gutters, panel boards and equipment disconnects, and lighting
fixture switches and electrical wall receptacles, etc. It is not intended that all junction
or appliance boxes be opened or that the interiors of the junction and appliance
boxes be inspected. Opening of covers and panels should be made without defacing
the property or damaging otherwise sound surfaces other than minor damages to
painted surfaces.

This indicates that the author is mistaking electrical and appliance cover plates that, in my opinion are provided to allow future service access and provide protection for the contents under the cover, for covers intended for inspection access. What is your personal opinion given your knowledge of the NEC?

Thanks,

Aaron
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Re: Access Covers

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Aaron,

The first thing I thought of was: "WOW! That is really putting home inspectors at great risk!", followed by "Someone must have their thinking cap on wrong."

I'll address the various aspects individually:

"Commentary -- The standards of practice dictate that panels provided for observation of items required for inspection by the standards of practice be opened."
-> I will presume that the above it actually a true representation of the wording in the Standards of Practice (SoP) for Texas Home Inspectors as to what access panels are to be removed for inspection.

"These panels include access panels for bathtub drains,"
-> Most tub drains do not have access panels, however, if an access panel is present, this is saying to remove it for inspection. However, and the exact true wording of the SoP would address this, those panels, when present, were not installed for the purpose of 'providing observation' of the tub drain, if those panels were there for that purpose, there would be a panel at each and every tub drain. Typically, when those panels are there, it is because a repair has been made, and the access panel was simply the quickest and easiest way to "patch the wall back up".

"hydro therapy bathtub pumps and motors,"
-> Stop right there ... I believe that writer is referring to "hydromassage bathtubs" (NEC and IRC codes). These tubs are intended to be filled for each use and drained after each use. "hydrotherapeutic tubs" are intended to be filled, have the water filtered, treated, and recirculated, and not drained after each use and used for therapeutic treatments.

-> From the 2008 NEC:
- - Hydromassage Bathtub. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate, and discharge water upon each use.
- - Packaged Therapeutic Tub or Hydrotherapeutic Tank Equipment Assembly. A factory-fabricated unit consisting of water-circulating, heating, and control equipment mounted on a common base, intended to operate a therapeutic tub or hydrotherapeutic tank. Equipment can include pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls, sanitizer generators, and so forth.

-> Those access panels for hydromassage bathtubs would be considered normally accessible and removable as they are the access to the motor, the electrical connections (cord and plug and receptacle) and typically the GFCI protection for the motor. Those would fall within the scope of the SOP as I am interrupting what was written.

"dishwasher pumps, motors, water supply pipes and electrical components,"
-> That simply refers to the kick plate cover. Those are provided for access to connect and disconnect the dishwasher, but not necessarily for "observation" of the area below the dishwasher.

"the electrical components of water heaters"
-> That refers to the covers over the elements which are there for replacing the elements and thermostats, not for "observation" of those components.

"and central heaters"
->I presume this also includes central air conditioning air handler unit access panels. Many of those are provided for access to the filters, in which case those panels would be for observation of the air filter and its replacement.

"and the dead fronts on main disconnects, gutters, panel boards and equipment disconnects,"
-> The dead front covers of panel boards and service equipment, I can see where that would be covered. But "gutters" and "equipment disconnects"? That is really asking the home inspector to expose themselves to potential electrical shock conditions by removing covers not intended to be removed for "observation" -why would one remove the cover of a wire gutter unless one were working on it, and home inspectors are not licensed electricians, and, even if the home inspector were a licensed electrician, the SoP or Code of Ethics would prohibit 'working on' while 'inspecting'.

"and lighting fixture switches and electrical wall receptacles, etc."
-> As I understand that, the removal of electrical device covers (covers for switches and receptacle outlets) is required? There must be some logic behind putting home inspectors are such great risks. Typically, when electricians remove those covers, they have also turned the breaker off and de-energized those devices, removing the risk of electrical shock. Is the home inspector being encouraged to turn off breakers in the panel, regardless what is 'currently in operation' on those circuits?

"It is not intended that all junction or appliance boxes be opened or that the interiors of the junction and appliance boxes be inspected."
-> Without the actual wording of the SoP, the reported statement in the commentary indicates that it is not the intent to remove *any* junction or appliance box covers. These covers *are not intended to be opened for observation*, they are there to cover and enclose electrical connections, to allow wiring systems to be installed, added onto, and appliances connected and disconnect - *not* "observation.

"Opening of covers and panels should be made without defacing the property or damaging otherwise sound surfaces other than minor damages to painted surfaces."
-> The home inspector is being given permission by the state to damage other peoples property? That *IS* what that is stating.

Without the actual SoP wording, I really cannot get any more definitive, and if the SoP wording is similar to what the commentary is saying, then the wording of the SoP truly needs to be reviewed for content and editing.

If TREC really intends for those things to be inspected, then the SoP should state so.

If the TREC board needs or would like help in this regard, I am available to help correct SoP wording and help with the Commentary.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Access Covers

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Aaron,

This is from the definitions in the new SoP you directed me to: (underlining, bold and red text are mine)
- (a) Definitions.
- - (1) Accessible--In the reasonable judgment of the inspector, capable of being approached, entered, or viewed without:
- - - (A) undue hazard to the inspector;
- - - (B) moving furnishings or large, heavy, or fragile objects;
- - - (C) using specialized tools or procedures;
- - - (D) disassembling items other than covers or panels intended to be removed for inspection;
- - - (E) damaging property; or
- - - (F) using a ladder for portions of the inspection other than the roof or attic space.

Most of the panels/covers referenced in the commentary you posted above are not "intended to be removed for inspection".

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.