Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

AFCI question

AFCI question

New postby Marc M on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Jerry,
Do you have a date when AFCI were made mandAtory in bedrooms? I just need something I can quote. Thanks.
I tried IN but i get conflicting dates.
Marc M

Re: AFCI question

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Marc,

Marc M wrote:Do you have a date when AFCI were made mandAtory in bedrooms?

"Depends."

If you want the first date AFCIs were addressed as being required by the NEC, that would be:

From the 1999 NEC. (bold and underlining are mine)
- 210-12. Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. (a) Definition. An arc-fault circuit interrupter is a device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and by functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc fault is detected.
- - (b) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All branch circuits that supply 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter(s). This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2002.

Thus, even though an area was not using the 2002 NEC, if they were using the 1999 NEC the AFCI requirement STILL kicked in on January 1, 2002.

Other than that it would depend on what date which code was adopted where ... no a real clear or concise answer.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: AFCI question

New postby Marc M on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Thank you Sir...
Marc M

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.