Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Branch wiring entering side of panel

Branch wiring entering side of panel

New postby Hank S on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Codeman,

Homeowner installed additional wiring for basement outlets. Branch wiring enters the sides of the main panel as it bends after coming through osb sheathing. Is this acceptable? Sorry about the submission of a second out of focus shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hank S

Re: Branch wiring entering side of panel

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:06 am

Hi Hank,

Yes, entering through the side of the enclosure like that is okay, that is what those knock-outs are for. Looks like that is in a proper cable connector.

The bend in the cable looks like it probably meets the allowable bend too.

My questions are these:
- Is that the back of the enclosure shown, or is the back of the enclosure against the OSB? I can't tell for sure if that is a cover or the back corner of the enclosure (I suspect it is the cover).
- What is on the other side of that OSB? What is that wall between? The living space and the garage? the garage and the outside? Looks like that cable may say 'REF' which would indicate that it goes to a refrigerator.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Branch wiring entering side of panel

New postby Hank S on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 am

Thank you very much. Photo was taken from the front side of the panel. The osb sheathing separates a basement garage from an interior mechanical room. Cable said "REC".
Hank S

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.