Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Xfmr secondary

Xfmr secondary

New postby S Miller on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 pm

I asked this on the ECN forum, but I'd like another opinion.
I can find no violation but what's your take: I have a xfmr rated 75kva which calculates to ~208a at 208Y120 3 phase. Is there any reason I can't put double barrell lugs on the bar and send 100 A to each of 2 separate panels? The panels are (both) less than 5' from the xfmr. We will have a disconnect ahead of the primary and each panel has a 100A main.
S Miller

Re: Xfmr secondary

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 pm

I reviewed the information in the ECN forum posts for the additional information and clarification you provided there; I agree with HotLine1, given that the 100 amp main is what was tripping and you size and install everything properly.

Another option, if the transformer were located such that it would be difficult to run from the transformer to the panel, would be to install a load management device which would drop out all circuits upon a power outage, then bring the most critical circuits back on first, followed by the less critical circuits. In your case, it sounds like the load management device may not be necessary as the transformer and panels are so close together and accessible to each other. Just food for thought for other installations.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.