Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Bathroom 3x8 Rule

Bathroom 3x8 Rule

New postby Marc M on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Jerry, I posted a question on I.N. but can't get past the sardonic responses to get a real answer to my question. So here it is; what is the reason for the restrictions of the 3x8 zone in front of a bathroom tub/shower enclosure, if not to keep moisture from entering a non-wet type/damp fixture?
I understand what is not supposed to be within the 8 x 3 area outside a bath/shower enclosure as described by the NEC, but section 410.10 (a) states the following:
"Wet and Damp Locations. Luminaries installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed such that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lamp holders, or other electrical parts. All luminaries installed in wet locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations. All luminaries installed in damp locations shall be marked “Suitable for Wet Locations” or “Suitable for Damp Locations.”.
I just want to be sure that I am covering the safety of the occupants. i thought it was our job to "not" limit ourselves to a code but exceed it if necessary. By the logic of the guys over at IN, a combo fan/light is okay within the 3x8 area. By that logic, how far within the "wet area" (3x8) is acceptable? When the fixture is inside the enclosure? BTW, the fan/light combo is not suitable for a wet location. (not a paddle fan)
Thanks
Marc
P.S. I saw this.
Handbook Commentary:

A revision of 410.4(D) simply clarifies that securely fastened luminaires installed in or on the ceiling or wall are permitted to be located in the bathtub or shower area. Where they are subject to shower spray, the luminaires must be listed for a wet location. Luminaires installed in the tub or shower zone and not subject to shower spray are required to be listed for use in a damp location.
Marc M

Re: Bathroom 3x8 Rule

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Marc,

Marc M wrote:what is the reason for the restrictions of the 3x8 zone in front of a bathroom tub/shower enclosure, if not to keep moisture from entering a non-wet type/damp fixture?

That answer is in here:
P.S. I saw this.
Handbook Commentary:

A revision of 410.4(D) simply clarifies that securely fastened luminaires installed in or on the ceiling or wall

The fixtures which are not permitted are types of fixtures which are not securely fastened in or on the ceiling or wall: "No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle)".

The fixture also needs to be marked for damp location use, and if (as you said) the fixture is subject to shower spray the fixture needs to be marked for wet location use.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.