Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

wire connection at switches

wire connection at switches

New postby chris mc on Fri May 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Codeman,

I have a two part question, first part code, second part opinion.

If you have a two gang box with three cables, two going to the light fixtures and one bringing power to the box. Is it acceptable to 'skin ' the (hot) wire a few inches back wrap it around the first switch and the attach the end to the other switch.......hope that makes sense.

I see this a lot and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, so if not a code violation what is your thoughts on this method.
chris mc

Re: wire connection at switches

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat May 21, 2011 10:16 am

Chris,

Excellent question, and the answer is "maybe".

The NEC states: (bold and underlining are mine)
- 110.14 Electrical Connections.
- - Because of different characteristics of dissimilar metals, devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum), unless the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use. Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.
- - - FPN: Many terminations and equipment are marked with a tightening torque.
- - (A) Terminals. Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors (including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.
- - - Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

Based on the above, the answer would be with the device (switch/receptacle) the connection is made to. I suspect that what you describe would be allowed.

My opinion is that as long as the conductor itself is not nicked or damaged in anyway from stripping it that way, what you describe would be much better than trying to fit two conductors under one terminal screw made for one conductor, and would take less space in the box than using a wire nut, and there is no bare conductor sticking out past the terminal screw (that it is done like what it would be if the wire were cut off).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.