Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Main and remote panel questions

Main and remote panel questions

New postby Marc M on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:27 am

Hey Jerry,
Image "A", is the main service equipment panel. I was unable to definitively say that the neutral bus was bonded to the panel via screws. That said, any reason why they would use the grounding bus and not the neutral bus? If the neutral is not bonded to the panel, then there is a disconnect between ecg and neutral correct?

Image "B" is a remote panel off of panel "A". In this image the neutral is bonded to the panel, however, the ground is floating...because they are separated although backwards, can this arrangment still work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: Main and remote panel questions

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Marc M wrote:I was unable to definitively say that the neutral bus was bonded to the panel via screws.

Same here, I don't see any bonding jumper or bonding screws which should be there bonding the neutral to the enclosure, which is ground.

that said, any reason why they would use the grounding bus and not the neutral bus?

I suspect the reason they did that relates back to the lack of bonding of the neutral to ground, i.e., leaving the neutral isolated from ground in the service equipment, and that reason likely was that they did not understand what should have been done.

If the neutral is not bonded to the panel, then there is a disconnect between ecg and neutral correct?

Correct.

Image "B" is a remote panel off of panel "A". In this image the neutral is bonded to the panel, however, the ground is floating...because they are separated although backwards, can this arrangment still work?

From the photos, it looks like they were thinking that the neutral and ground bonding and isolation was the reverse of what it is required to be. I suspect this because they did both the service equipment and the remote panel backward to what they should have done.

Will it still work?

Well ... yes, because it is 'working', albeit not working properly ... therefore I supposed one could say (I would say) that it is not working properly (and thus 'not working' if one defines 'working' as working properly). The neutral current from the circuits in the remote panel may well be returning to the service equipment through the grounding conductors and the grounded conductors, and this is not allowed. This also creates an unsafe condition.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. Just didn't want to look like a JA and have to deal with the agents calling me an idiot etc... because the panels were recently signed off by AHJ. Which I suspect they will do regardless.
Marc M

New postby Marc M on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:42 am

The neutral current from the circuits in the remote panel may well be returning to the service equipment through the grounding conductors and the grounded conductors, and this is not allowed. This also creates an unsafe condition.
Jerry, I was re reading your answer and I have to ask...
If the ground is floating in the remote panel board, is it still possible to return back to the service equipment panel?
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 am

Marc,

Yes, the neutral current will also returning to the service equipment through the ground because the photos show grounding bushings/lock nuts connecting the enclosures to ground, and the neutral is connected to the enclosure.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.