Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

My new panel...from today.

My new panel...from today.

New postby Marc M on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:23 am

Jerry, here's another that I saw today , another first. I'm very familiar with FPE's but this is weird. What's the deal with the center 70? The top image is pretty big, just click it to get in close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: My new panel...from today.

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am

That's the FPE version of a split bus panel - the 70 amp in the top main section serves as the main for the lower portion of the panel, the lower portion of the panel is de-energized when that 70 amp breaker is flipped to 'off'.

Note the double pole thin breaker in the top main section - that should be replaced with a full-sized breaker as that location is not made for the thin breakers, plus, that now opens up two more breaker slots in the main section, which currently has 6 mains, but now has openings for two more mains ... not good.

Another thing which looks really screwy in there is the uninsulated neutral/grounding conductor with the service entrance conductors (being uninsulated for that use is okay), It looks like some of the strands of that conductor were split off and are run to the grounding bushing, which means that the remaining strands of the neutral conductor of the service entrance conductors are of an 'unknown size'.

You wrote up the other items in there too, I am sure. Besides, it is an FPE, so it will all go away when it is replaced with a new panel.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 am

Oh man.., I almost said split bus but I thought the bus(es) were connected under the 70. When I blow up the image it looks like the N/G comes in from the back and there is a separate conductor coming in from the front of the conduit-through the busing and then down the right side to the N/G bus. You see the same thing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Looks like there are two bare uninsulated copper conductors coming out of the conduit, which is really strange because if there was a bare grounding conductor, the neutral conductor would have been insulated. Strange.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

I get the all good ones...
Marc M

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.