Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

FMC within panelboard

FMC within panelboard

New postby Marc M on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:17 am

Jerry, can you carry FMC into the panel board? This installer appears to have been attempting to protect the electrode but carried it into the panel. The conductor appears to be stranded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: FMC within panelboard

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Marc,

The simplest way to answer your question is: No, they screwed things all up doing what they did.

First, the metallic raceway the ground is in would need to be grounded at all ends into proper fittings for that purpose, and, because FMC is spiral wrapped, the grounding path created by grounding the ends will create a choke coil effect around the grounding conductor when there is current through the grounding conductor - the choke coil effect will try to stop the current flow through the grounding conductor ... and you do not want that to happen, you want as little resistance to current flow as possible in the grounding conductor.

Is that enclosing the grounding electrode conductor? I see a bare solid copper which I would think would be the grounding electrode conductor. Or is this bare solid copper from something else, like the white and black conductors coming up through the bottom? Is that a cable or separate conductors in a raceway?

Second, no, that FMC should not be in the enclosure.

I notice that there is an unplugged opening below that FMC which needs to be plugged.

I see quite a few conductor going out the back of that enclosure through that conduit, looks like derating time.

There is also a white conductor which is taped green - instead, the white conductor should be replaced with a green insulated conductor.

I tried to figure out what was going on in there, but it looks kinda screwy.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.