Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Receptacles Mounted on Flat Surface

Receptacles Mounted on Flat Surface

New postby Bruce Ramsey on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 am

I know there are special floor mount recetpacles. I can't seem to find the reference that indicates that a standard receptacle in a dry, not wet or damp, environment should NOT be installed in a horizontal orientation.

Got a case where a receptacle was installed in the floor of a cabinet. Cabinet is in the dining room and is basically a bathroom vanity cabinet installed for storage. Looking for a reference to back up my statement this is dumb and oh by the way, wrong.
Bruce Ramsey
US Inspect
Atlanta, Ga
Bruce Ramsey

Re: Receptacles Mounted on Flat Surface

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 am

Bruce,

If this is elastic enough, but it might break if stretched that far:
- ARTICLE 406 Receptacles, Cord Connectors, and Attachment Plugs (Caps)
- - 406.4 Receptacle Mounting.
- - - (E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

"Looking for a reference to back up my statement this is dumb and oh by the way, wrong."

It is only dumb if the receptacle does not have a bubble cover (and, no, the code does not require a bubble cover in the cabinet under the sink, but common sense does).

Stretching the code that far ... I dunno.

I have one installed as you describe under our kitchen sink, however, not only do I have a bubble cover on it (in case there is a leak from above) but it is in a weather proof exterior type box and is a GFCI type to provide an additional layer of people protection.

Sometimes there is basically no other place to install the receptacle, when that is the case then extra steps for protection should be taken - not required to by the minimum code, but should be done based on common sense.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Receptacles Mounted on Flat Surface

New postby Bruce Ramsey on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks for the response.

Its only a home inspection so don't have to have a code reference but is always nice to have one in the back pocket if people start bickering and finger wagging.

The junction box could have been mounted vertically inside the cabinet originally. Receptacle is inside a dining room cabinet so the most likely moisture source would be spilled wine... if the door is open and a host of other things go wrong. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. Documented in the report so I am covered.

Thanks again.
Bruce Ramsey
US Inspect
Atlanta, Ga
Bruce Ramsey

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.