Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Wiring rules

Wiring rules

New postby bigdog on Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Jerry,
In a wood frame attached garage the wiring is completely exposed as the owner did not rock the walls or ceiling. Am I correct in thinking it must be covered or in conduit below 6"8"?
I'm not sure this addition was permitted by PB county.
bigdog

Re: Wiring rules

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue May 20, 2014 7:32 am

bigdog wrote:In a wood frame attached garage the wiring is completely exposed as the owner did not rock the walls or ceiling. Am I correct in thinking it must be covered or in conduit below 6"8"?
I'm not sure this addition was permitted by PB county.

"Protection from physical damage" - that is one of those things that different AHJ view differently, and, to some extent, I view differently too ... depending on how it is installed.

If the NM cables were running vertically up the studs, back at least 1-1/4" from each face of the stud (from each nailing surface) ... and ... and protective boards were installed to protect the NM cable from being struck or damaged - I could go with that.

The next thing to consider is this: If that was sleeved with schedule 40 PVC conduit, would you consider it okay in the location it is in? Yes?

I ask because Sch 40 PVC is *not* approved or listed for use for protection from physical damage, which means that the NM cable would need to be protected by Sch 80 PVC (or RMC, IMC, EMT or ... the wood I described - that would be an "approved method").

I go for protection from physical damage with one of the following options: Sch 80 RNC (PVC), RMC, IMC, EMT, or the wood protection.

Some AHJ want the NM cables secured to the sides of the studs, other AHJ don't even look.

Now, if the NM cable is run horizontally across and through the spaces between the studs - no questions about it - those need protection from physical damage.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.