Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Range outlet inside a cabinet

Range outlet inside a cabinet

New postby LouInJax on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:34 am

Never saw one of these in 18 years of inspecting. Seems the original location of the range outlet was not where they wanted the appliance. So holes were cut in the cabinets to allow the wire to pass through. I'm calling it out for safety reasons but would love to have a specific code to back it up. I can't find anything in the NEC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LouInJax

Re: Range outlet inside a cabinet

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Lou,

Start with 400.7 Uses Permitted and 400.8 Uses Not Permitted for the flexible cord used for the purpose shown in your photo - nothing in either one permits the use shown, and 400.8(1) does not permit the cord to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring, i.e., as a substitute for relocating the receptacle outlet for the range.

Additionally, 422.16 Flexible Cords (for appliances) in (B) Specific Appliances, lists specific appliances which permit other options, such as (1) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors specially permits, in 422.16(B)(2)(4), the receptacle to be located "in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto".

Your photo shows the receptacle located in the space "adjacent thereto" except that the flexible cord is for a range, not a built-in dishwasher or trash compactor.

There is no special appliance paragraph which addresses slide-in ranges, and the section which addresses built-in ranges (counter-mounted cooking units) does not allow for the cord to be in a space adjacent thereto like is permitted for dishwashers - the receptacle is required to be in the same space as the appliance.

Now, if the AHJ wanted to, the AHJ could permit what is shown in your photos using 422.20 Other Installation Methods and "special permission", and "Special Permission" is defined in 100 Definitions as:
- Special Permission. The written consent of the authority having jurisdiction.

You could permit that installation by special permission, otherwise the NEC does not permit it based on the above section ... at least that is how I read it.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Range outlet inside a cabinet

New postby LouInJax on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks a bunch Jerry. That helps greatly
LouInJax

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.