Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

110.26 Clearance question

110.26 Clearance question

New postby JohnSTI on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Beside the clutter that is definitely in violation of 110.26 what measurement do I use to judge the front clearance requirements. From the panel box or raceway below it only protrudes 4 inches beyond the panel box below the 6 in requirement.

Oh I take it that I include the uniforms hanging on the wall also...

Second question there is no dedicated lighting for this area only an open ceiling that is letting ambient light in from the surrounding shop area...What is considered the Minimum lighting requirement to meet code.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnSTI

Re: 110.26 Clearance question

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Regarding the storage:
- From the 2014 NEC: (underlining is mine)
- - 110.26(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage. When normally enclosed live parts are exposed for inspection or servicing, the working space, if in a passageway or general open space, shall be suitably guarded.

Regarding how to measure the depth of the working space:
- - 110.26(A)(1) Depth of Working Space. The depth of the working space in the direction of live parts shall not be less than that specified in Table 110.26(A)(2) unless the requirements of 11.26(A)(1)(a), (A)(1)(b), or (A)(1)(c) are met. Distances shall be measured from the exposed live parts or from the enclosure or opening if the live parts are enclosed.

Regarding the lighting requirements:
- - 110.26(D) Illumination. Illumination shall be provided for all working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, or motor control centers installed indoors and shall not be controlled by automatic means only. Additional lighting outlets shall not be required where the workspace is illuminated by adjacent light source or as permitted by 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, for switched receptacles.

Your description of the surrounding shop area lighting leaves something to be desired, but the code wording may permit it, one would have to be present to determine that.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.