Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Circuits for new bathroom/foyer

Circuits for new bathroom/foyer

New postby Dave F on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 am

Hello,

I'm converting a 17'x7' space in my home that used to be an enclosed sun porch into an 11X7 bathroom and a 6X7 foyer that has a slider that leads to an outside deck. I plan to add 3 circuits for these rooms. One 20A circuit that will power 2 GFCI outlets in the bathroom portion as well as 3 overhead recessed lights, a light over the vanity and probably a vent fan. Another 20A circuit dedicated to the heated floor. And another 20A circuit to power the outlet(s) in the foyer portion, as well as a single recessed light and an outside light over the slider for the deck. I read in the code that the dedicated circuit for the bathroom GFCI outlets can power other things as long as they are in that bathroom. My question is if the 3 additional lights(LED) and the vent fan is too much to add to the circuit. I would think not, but I wanted to ask.

In another scenario, If I were to only power the bathroom GFCI outlets with the 20A bathroom circuit, would it be OK for me to power the bathroom lights, vent fan, and the foyer outlets and lights with the other circuit?

Attached is a basic layout of the room(s)

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave F

Re: Circuits for new bathroom/foyer

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Dave F wrote:My question is if the 3 additional lights(LED) and the vent fan is too much to add to the circuit. I would think not, but I wanted to ask.

That should be okay as it is done often, however, trying to use to hair blow dryers at the same time on that one circuit could be a problem ... even without the light and vent fan.

In another scenario, If I were to only power the bathroom GFCI outlets with the 20A bathroom circuit, would it be OK for me to power the bathroom lights, vent fan, and the foyer outlets and lights with the other circuit?

That setup is done most of the time - GFCI receptacles on one circuit and lights/fans on circuits serving other rooms and areas.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.