Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Work space clearances

Work space clearances

New postby bigdog on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Jerry,
Isn't this configuration a violation of work places clearances?? The meter on top of the service panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigdog

Re: Work space clearances

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 pm

Well ... the horizontal orientation does create quite a few issues ... (sorry, couldn't help it).

There is nothing wrong with the meter being on top of the panel per se, but there could be if it was done incorrectly.

I see a riser going vertically up (viewing the photo rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees) to what I suspect would be an overhead service. (f that is done correctly, no issues there.

Then I see it going down to the service equipment panel below through a nipple of some length, if done correctly, no issues there either.

Then I see various raceways coming out the bottom of the service equipment panel which look like they are going into the ground below, if done correctly, no issues there ... however, a common error is using Sch 40 PVC going the ground. Sch 40 is not suitable for protection from physical damage, Sch 80 is required from 18" below ground to 8' above ground or to the first enclosure (i.e., from 18" below ground to that service equipment enclosure).

The big and obvious code violation is that door which closes over the electrical equipment ... that's a big no-no.

And don't forget those bushes ... working space is to be open, no obstructions, and level. Working space size is minimum with of 30" or the width of the equipment if wider than 30" by 36" deep in front of the equipment, with access to the space (a minimum 24" wide access is acceptable, as I recall).

I had a few where the working space was on a sloping lot away from the building and the equipment, a few which were sloped down 2 feet in that 3 foot depth, and the contractors (builder and electrical) tried to blame each other, I told them to work it out because if the electrical does not pass, the building cannot be occupied, does not matter to me who corrects it, but the longer you two argue about, the longer it will take pass inspection, and no occupancy until it does - amazing how quickly they agreed to work together to correct it).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Thanks Jerry.
The picture was orientated properly ( portrait)in my folder and for some reason turned when I attached it.
Is that requirement in chapter 2 or 3?
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 pm

David,

I don't have my codes with me, but working space is in 110.26 as I recall.

Uploading photos to where up is up can sometimes create smiles on what the software does. I wish there was an 'up' indicator which one could designate when they take a photo and that future display is defaulted to that 'up' position when displayed ... but logic only goes so far, then one runs into 'gosh, I didn't think of that' in the application displaying the image sideways.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

SCH 80 PVC

New postby bigdog on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:14 pm

I finally found it: Schedule 80 PVC for underground conductors emerging from the ground. 300.50 B

Its impossible to tell once their painted but I don't believe its enforced for other than service feeders.
bigdog

Re: SCH 80 PVC

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:43 pm

bigdog wrote:300.50 B

300.50(B) is not applicable to that installation as 300.50 is under LL. Requirements for over 1000 Volts Nominal.

Look in 300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage, and 300.5 Underground installations.

300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage. Where subject to physical damage, conductors, raceways, and cables shall be protected.

Which means looking in the UL White Book for the uses that Sch 40 PVC and Sch 80 PVC are approved for: (place cursor over link, right click, select 'Open in new tab') https://code-authorities.ul.com/wp-cont ... e-Book.pdf

On page 47/1122, look for the heading "Rigid Nonmetallic PVC Conduit" "(DZYR)".

- Second paragraph down says: (underlining is mine)
- - Schedule 40 conduit is suitable for underground use by direct burial or encasement in concrete. Schedule 40 conduit marked ‘‘Directional Boring’’ (or ‘‘Dir. Boring’’) is suitable for underground directional boring applications. Schedule 40 conduit is also suitable for aboveground use indoors or outdoors exposed to sunlight and weather where not subject to physical damage. Schedule 40 conduit marked ‘‘Underground Use Only’’ is only suitable for underground applications.

- Third paragraph down says: (underlining is mine)
- - Schedule 80 conduit has a reduced cross-sectional area available for wiring space and is suitable for use wherever Schedule 40 conduit may be used. The marking ‘‘Schedule 80 PVC’’ identifies conduit suitable for use where exposed to physical damage and for installation on poles in accordance with the NEC.

Article 352
- 352.12 Uses Not Permitted. PVC conduit shall not be used under the conditions specified in 35212(A) through (E).
- - (C) Physical Damage. Where subject to physical damage unless identified for such use.

So ... if PVC is being used, and the location is subject to physical damage, Sch 80 is required, not Sch 40.

300.5 Underground Installations.
- (D) Protection from Damage. Direct-buried conductors and cables shall be protected from damage in accordance with 300.5(D)(1) through (D)(4).
- - (review (D)(1 through (D)(3), t0o much to retype here)
- - (D)(1) Emerging from Grade. (review this as it defines the area 'subject to physical damage')
- - (D)(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure or raceway is subject to physical damage, the conductors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, RTRC-XW, Schedule 80 PVC conduit or equivalent.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.