Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Code Date-Grandfather ceiling -San Francisco

Code Date-Grandfather ceiling -San Francisco

New postby springerteich on Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:09 pm

San Francisco Pacific Heights Victorian built approx 1900s. No architectural plans recored except mine , a remodel 2018. I bought prop in 2004 with a finished basement room I use for a sleeping room.... The finished ceiling is 6'8" approx.. I measured through the recessed lighting gap to the unfinished ceiling and measures over 7" . I was told that is can be legal sleeping room depending what the code was when it was built. I only have blurry permits and I think it was 1963 they ceiled the floor above. (used to have a staircase) and created the room.

When did the current ceiling height for sleeping room go into effect? Trying to legalize a space for sleeping. Thank you Springer of San Francisco
springerteich

Re: Code Date-Grandfather ceiling -San Francisco

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:33 am

springerteich wrote:I only have blurry permits and I think it was 1963 they ceiled the floor above. (used to have a staircase) and created the room.

When did the current ceiling height for sleeping room go into effect? Trying to legalize a space for sleeping.

I am reading that as you having a (blurry) permit, from 1963, indicating that they made an alteration to the basement space in 1963, converting a portion (or all) of the basement into a "room".

That raises a couple of questions regarding the "room" and its use as habitable space (i.e., 'living' space), and when it began being used as a sleeping room (bedroom). Habitable spaces which are not used for sleeping (are not bedrooms) have certain requirements, and sleeping room have additional requirements (due to the fact that one is "sleeping" and 'is not alert and ready' during an emergency situation).

Do you know when it was first used as a bedroom (sleeping room) ... preferably listed as such on one of the permits?

Permits and codes for the house as constructed in 1900 do not apply to work done later. Work done later needs to meet the permits in effect at the time the work is done. Thus, each permit for work done over time likely meets a revised code applicable when that work was done.

I did find this: https://archive.org/details/buildingcod ... 3/mode/2up
1956 Building Code with 1962 Revisions
1956 with 1962 Revisions SF Building code cover.jpg

Residential sections.
1956 with 1962 Revisions SF Building code Article 18 Residential.jpg

Light, Ventilation, and Ceiling Heights.
1956 with 1962 Revisions SF Building code Article 18 Residential Light, Ventilation, Ceiling Heights.jpg

Words of caution: before you get to far into the ceiling heights ordinance, which I could not find online (you would need to go to them and search for a copy of the San francisco Housing Code 179-62 app. 7-13-62) ... make sure that room also complies with the Light, Ventilation, Sanitation requirements. Otherwise, you could very likely be opening a very large can of worms.
1956 with 1962 Revisions SF Building code Article 18 Residential Light, Ventilation, Ceiling Heights2.jpg

That can of worms could contain each of the following (note that Dwellings are Division 2, and a few of the items apply to Division 1, Division 2 Dwellings are exempt for those.
1956 with 1962 Revisions SF Building code Article 18 Residential2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Code Date-Grandfather ceiling -San Francisco

New postby GunnarAlquist on Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:40 pm

To the best of my knowledge, the state of California enforced the Uniform Building Code. Some cities (S.F. included) added their own local ordinances. I do not have access to any of that. It might be necessary to head down to City Hall to do that research. Another place to consider would be the S.F. Library. They may have that documentation stored as well.

I looked up the room requirements in my UBC archive and the earliest reference that I can find ceiling height mentioned is 1946. The text is at the end:

But, as Jerry already indicated, we may be lost in the weeds here as there are other considerations to making something like this a bedroom.

In addition to ceiling height, a bedroom (sleeping room) is required to have light, ventilation and an emergency egress directly to the exterior. These can be difficult to provide since the S.F. homes are typcially packed pretty tight with no ability to open to the side of the building (unless at the corner). Egress can be provided by an adequately sized and located window or a door, but may not be through another room or a garage. As a matter of fact, there can be no direct access from the garage into the sleeping room. While I do not know the floorplan of your house, many S.F. homes have much the same floorplan with a tandem garage and an unfinished basement area side-by-side. All of that makes this more difficult. If you can find a neighboring home that similar (permitted) characteristics, you may be able to argue for a variance, as long as ceiling height is the only issue. I rather doubt they will bend on emergency egress, light, & ventilation. Best bet in this case would be to get an architect who knows S.F. building remodeling and can help figure out solutions for your specific situation.

I do have friends in Noe who excavated soil from the lower floor in order to gain the headroom. That required significant foundation and other structural work. Wasn't cheap, that's for sure.

From the 1946 Uniform Building Code: (available at Archive.org)
CHAPTER 14 - REQUIREMENTS FOR GROUP I OCCUPANCIES
Sec. 1401. Group I Ocupancies (sic) shall be:
Dwellings.
Sec. 1405

(b) Room Sizes and Ceiling Heights. Every room regulared by subsection (a) shall have a ceiling height of not less than seven feet sinx inches (7' 6") in at least 50 percent of its required area with no portion less than five feet (5') in height. Rooms used for living, dining, or sleeping purposes shall have an area of not less than eighty squre feet (80 sq. ft.). Kitchens shall have a superficial floor area of not less than fifty square feet (50 sq. ft.). Superficial floor area is herein defined as clear floor space, exclusive of fixed or built-in cabinets or appliances.
GunnarAlquist

Return to Interior Environment: Light, ventilation, ceiling height, etc.