Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Automatic sprinkler system in a crawlspace

Automatic sprinkler system in a crawlspace

New postby mtCDCcb on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 pm

There is home under construction that is installing an automatice sprinkler system. The sprinkler system is not required by local codes (2006 IRC) but is required by the subdivision. There is a rather large "crawlspace" (in excess of 500 sf) with stairway access and 8 foot high ceilings. Is this area required to be sprinklered?
mtCDCcb

Re: Automatic sprinkler system in a crawlspace

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:06 pm

mtCDCcb wrote:The sprinkler system is not required by local codes (2006 IRC) but is required by the subdivision.

If the fire sprinkler system was required by code, then, yes, the crawlspace would be included.

However, being as the fire sprinkler system is not required by code, but is required by the subdivision, the answer would be in how that requirement was worded.

If that requirement refers to 'as required by ... in ... code', then the code is part of the subdivision requirement by reference. However, if the subdivision requirements just state that the living space will be sprinklered ... then I would wonder 'to what standard is the sprinkler system to be installed', and then I would follow by saying that the crawlspace is not living space and would not be included, then I would go back for the answer to 'to what standard is the sprinkler system to be installed', and therein that messy wording would lie the answer to your question.

Do you have the subdivision requirement wording?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mtCDCcb on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am

THe regulation in the subdivision is very straight forward. It simply states buildings within subdivsion shall be fire sprinklered. Due to the size and potential storage of combustible materials in the crawlspace the fire official wants it to be sprinklered but as the building official I am not sure I can require it due to the vagueness of the language. I am leaning toward reccomending it to be sprinklered but falling short of requiring it.
mtCDCcb

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:36 pm

mtCDCcb wrote:THe regulation in the subdivision is very straight forward. It simply states buildings within subdivsion shall be fire sprinklered.

My take on a simple statement that buildings within the subdivision shall be sprinklered is that wants all of all buildings to be sprinklered, which not only includes crawlspaces, it also includes attic.

With no wording limiting the sprinklered areas I would take it as all inclusive.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Interior Environment: Light, ventilation, ceiling height, etc.