Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Is a fire sprinkler need in a alum. railing manufacturing

Is a fire sprinkler need in a alum. railing manufacturing

New postby wagurto on Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:17 pm

I have an existing 22,600 sf industrial meat proceesing facility that does not have fire spkinlers system installed. We are doing a alum. railings manufacturing facility on that space. I wonder if the building department will require to provide fire sprinklers on this project.
thanks
Wil
wagurto

Re: Is a fire sprinkler need in a alum. railing manufacturing

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:52 pm

Based on the current IBC, Building (2024), that use falls under 406.3 Low-hazard factory industrial Group F-2.

IBC 903.2 Where required lists Group F-1, however, I didn't see Group F-2 listed in that section.

The 2024 IBC, Existing Buildings, in 1001.2.1 Change of use, directs us to Chapter 6, and Section 604 Alteration-Level 3 appears to be applicable. Section 604 references Chapters 7, 8, and 9. All of which lead back to the requirements in the IBC.

In an Existing Building, always start with the IBC, Existing Building Code ... except that I knew it would refer back to the IBC, Building.

There is another potential requirement to check on - the Fire Code that has been adopted. That Fire Code could be the IBC, Fire Code or NFPA's requirements. The local Fire Marshall will know which they fall under. Note: some jurisdictions have both, or versions of both with amendments.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fire Protection - Fire Sprinkler Systems